1991 olds cutlass supreme

systemofadown98248

Alright, I am a newbie here (just joined today) and I have a 1991 oldsmobile 4-door cutlass supreme. I just recieved it as a graduation present 1 month ago (it is my first car) and I have no complaints. one major thing that I want to do to it is get a body kit for it, but after 2 weeks of searching, I have found nothing. do any of you know if there is a body kit out there for this car???? thanks.

And one more thing, the grill to the front defroster has popped off (this is how it was bought) and I was told that is is very common for this to happen. is this true???? how can I fix this, I can not pop it back into place. is there another way????

-Ryan-

Nobody love us people that have 2 too many doors. They don't respect us either. That's why I am going to end up sticking a turbo motor in it, so they get sturprised (yes, I said sturprised.) when I fuck there sill asses up. WOOOOOOOHHHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Ryan, welcome to the board. Glad you can join one of the most elite GM frames since the 1980's.

Ok, ...so I can't make jokes to save my life, but you'll will be able to find some good info for your Cutlass.

Starting off, there are body kits, but you'll need to look high + dry to find them.

Aeroform.com comes to mind since they do have Cutlass kits if you're looking to upgrade.

Another idea is to swap other exterior packages from later (or earlier depending on taste) Cutlass's.

As for the defrost grill, many use some beads of silicone since the dash has warped from heat of the sun.

Again, welcome! Last thing, when in doubt, use the Search function above; great previous posts on common upgrades, etc.

- Erik

Ok, I got two more problems that I forgot to say, only because they are minor ones. the fuel gauge is not accurate and the driver front door rattles every time I shut the door. Oh and one more (hopefully last one) the power locks do not work half the time (loose wire???). any opinions on what I should do???

also, does anyone else know of any body kits for 4-door cutlass supremes???? thanks.

Sound proofing / reduction on doors are extremely easy.

Take it apart, slam the door a couple time to locate rattle.

Use stereo insullation to buffer the chatter and put door panel back on.

With some knowledge of basic tear-down, you can get a single door done within 1 - 1.5 hours.

- Erik

Oh yeah, I remember one more problem. On the information system the low coolant light is constantly flashing on and off. (on for 5 min. off for 5 min. etc.) and I have added some coolant into the overflow tank. why is the light always going on and off???

p.s. sorry for asking about so much info.

-ryan-

Oh yeah, I remember one more problem. On the information system the low coolant light is constantly flashing on and off. (on for 5 min. off for 5 min. etc.) and I have added some coolant into the overflow tank. why is the light always going on and off???

p.s. sorry for asking about so much info.

Dude, you're cool. No worries, glad to help out.

There's an excellent chance that your "Low Coolant" Sensor is on the fritz.

Overtime, it collects gunk and other contaminents from the cooling system and gives a false reading.

It's on the passenger side of the radiator; a 2" x 2" black box bolted into the radiator.

You'll most like have to pull the radiator to gain access to clean or replace it.

Best of luck! :D

- Erik

Only way I've found to fix the defroster vent is to pull the dash pad out and drive screws into the edge of the defroster opening to flatten down the top of the dash. Then the defroster will snap back into the dash.

Power locks is not likely to be a loose wire. It could be a bad relay (under the passenger side dash), but in my case it was tight linkages that needed lubed. Does it take a bit too much pressure to move the manual lock knob? If so, the linkages probably need lubed. It could be weakened solenoids as well.

There are NO body kits for the 4-dr Cutlass. There's not likely to be unless suddenly a whole bunch of kids decide they want to move from Civics to older Cutlass Supremes. Lack of an aftermarket is just one of the things you have to deal with when you own a car that appeals more to mature audiences.

Guest TurboSedan

i have a '91 CS also, same car as yours. there is a body kit, altho it is not aftermarket. does your car have the International Series aka 'BYP' body package? if not go to some salvage yards and hunt down the front bumper cover, and side/rear skirting that hangs down about 1.5". that and a lowering kit go a LONG WAY in improving the look of these cars. oh yeah and some 16" or 17" wheels too. that and a TGP engine to scare away the coupe drivers that think your car must be slow because the extra doors j/k :P

joshua

• 2 years later...

Got a '92 4 Dr Cutlass Supreme Int'l, 3.4/5 sp, 4 doors are in my friend.

First, the grille on the front Defroster vent is very common, and it is shared with 2 doors. The problem is age and heat have warped the dashpad and have likely caused it to start separating from its structural base. On mine, I merely removed the dashpad, then pried every place I could find separating and forced some 3M Weatherstrip cement in there then clamped it over night with some small boards and quick clamps. I hadda do it over 3 days it was so bad. But the vent now snaps back in like it was supposed to, and the Arizona Sun has not caused the Glue to let go thus far, to my surprise.

Second, Body Kit? Why, I agree with the thought of the Int'l trim. Add it, Lower the car, add some 18's and Bam, Instant head turner.

Third, the fuel guages on all the W-Bodies are screwed. I have 4, and they all hold full to 3/4 forever then drop like there's a Mexican with a siphon hose in your filler neck from there. The Low Fuel Indicator also seems to be a problem on the GP's, but I've never heard of it on a Cutlass. More common to the Cutlass is the Charge guage following the fuel guage when it goes below a half tank, causing the Check Guages Indicator to go off, which, BTW also seems to want to stay on forever on the Pontiacs. (Usually, the fix for the Pontiacs is to locate the short causing it, sometimes in the cluster itself)

Tis about ti for what I know tho

Got a '92 4 Dr Cutlass Supreme Int'l, 3.4/5 sp, 4 doors are in my friend.

Did you swap in the 5spd??? You should start a thread in the member's section with pics.

Anyway, this thread has no point in being brought back up, so I am going to close it down.