Easily Peeling Out....maybe too easy

Shinisa

Well to start off I have an autmomatic transmission. It's got the D, 1, 2, 3. A friend told me if I were to leave it on 3, it would accelerate faster. For the most part I agree, however everytime I put that pedal down, the car peels out everytime. Maybe I'm giving it too much force in the beginniing? :roll: I dont know, I enjoy racing and all, but at the cost of my axles or transmission blowing out....that makes me think twice. Anyone Got any ideas or suggestions ? I want to keep racing but I want to figure out a way to do it without the cost of my car breaking down.

If it were a fully manual valve body it would be 3rd, but it's not, I have the manual for GM trannies, and it tells you what is applied in all shifter positions. I don't actually think it is much of a difference in 3rd. And people that shift it into first to go faster, all you will be able to do is rev beyond the normal shit (yes, shit) points. Being as most Dubs don't have any ass up there, you have to business being up there. And you are hurting your low end torque because when you put it into low 1, you are applying the low/reverse band, and are actually creating a parasitic drag on the driveline. And YES, I do it all the time, because as I have said before: "My CAI sounds great in first @ 45 MPH." :twisted: If you guys wanted to know, I am sure I could scrounge up that book.

I doubt it, but you aren't making it go faster either. In first (Ie. low 1, w/ shift indicator pointed at 1) your car applys the low-reverse band. I will have to look and see what is applied when you place the shifter in 3rd. I seriously doubt it is much different than D.

that doesn't seem right, if it is at 3, it should be in 3rd gear, shouldn't it accellerate super slowly?

No. That selects the tranny how far it will upshift.

If you leave your gear selector in "1" you'll only drive in first gear.

If "2", the car will use both first and second gear, but nothing more.

"D" or "3" will run you up to the third including second and first gear; plus the torque convertor lock-up.

"OD" will include four and the torque convertor lock-up (electronic overdrive)

So, you will NOT start in the gear you choose, mearly what the tranny will not pass.

It's for trailering items or needed for autocrossing to keep the RPM's high without having the tranny up-shift.

- Erik

Yeah, having it in 3 just keeps Overdrive off. The TC should still lockup in 3rd, you just wont have overdrive. There is no way keeping it in 3 makes it go faster, its impossible

Robby