93 cutlass - headlight support removal

patgizz

how hard is it and what tools do i need to remove the headlight support/surround bar from a 94 cutlass 2dr with the tiny little headlights? tuesday will be going out to redturbo90's place to buy his blue 94 and i am going to bring it home using a towbar that straps around the bumper, so those headlights need to come off for the straps for the bar. thanks!

why not just get the straps to go thru the subframe brackets, 1 at each side...you know the 2 holes (1 on ea side up in front of the frame bolts) or are you towing it so the front is off the ground?

Anyway for the support bar, remove the headlight surrounds, and the support bar consists of 10mm bolts scattered around in horizontal and vertical applications. Not too hard, but even after all this is out, the bumper cover still goes up to the hood

brian, we're using a towbar that is v shaped w/ a trailer tongue and chains around the bumper itself, all 4 wheels stay on the ground. the chains need to go over the bumper and behind the support and back out the bottom to complete the loop.

Remember, if you care about the tranny and the front wheels are on the ground make sure you start the car. If you can't start it, I hope you don't like the tranny.

i've been using the bar for awhile and never had a problem with a trans after towing with it, in excess of 60mph.

i know the whole trans will be spinning without the pump running deal, half the stuff in the trans that will be turning(ie- diff) has fluid up covering part of it and will be lubricated, i'm really not worried. ya see people tow-barring fwd cars with all 4 wheels on the ground behind their RV's across the country with no troubles.

and if the trans were to die, a rebuild kit is ~75 bux

I personally would not risk it. A rebuild kit may be $75, but it's a helluva lot of labor, and many who have tried DIY tranny rebuilds have failed miserably. Page 155 of the 1994 Cutlass Supreme manual says:

Don’t have your vehicle towed on the

front wheels, unless you must. If the

vehicle must be towed on the front

wheels, don’t go more than 35 mph (56

ltm/h) or farther than 50 miles (80 ltm)

or your transaxle will be damaged. If

these limits must be exceeded, then the

front wheels have to be supported on a

dolly.

They don't fool around with any words like "may be damaged", they come right out and say say your tranny "will be damaged".

Good luck!

i'm not exactly a tranny rebuild amateur. never done a 4t60, but have a spare for hard parts, and have rebuilt quite a few trans. probably gonna yoink the motor and toss in a rebuilt short block so... trans out anyway

dont worry about me guys ;)