Climate controls on a 90 TGP

shadow

Some of the buttons were cracked and missing on mine so I installed a new one. Everything worked out fine but I was just curious is this a common problem on our cars?

\Chris

Very common. The buttons were made of a really cheap plastic. Finding ones in good shape are also hard. I have lucked out. My TGP controls are in excelent condition, and I found 2 more control units that were in mint condition. One out of a 22k GP, and a 79k GP. Why are people junking good cars befor their time..

Very common. The buttons were made of a really cheap plastic. Finding ones in good shape are also hard. I have lucked out. My TGP controls are in excelent condition, and I found 2 more control units that were in mint condition. One out of a 22k GP, and a 79k GP. Why are people junking good cars befor their time..

Usually, it costs more to fix/keep the car running than it's worth.

I found 2 more control units that were in mint condition. One out of a 22k GP..

:eek: and it was junked?!

It could have been wrecked and the owner didn't have insurance, or blown up and the dealer refused to service it, something like that.

I dont buy the blown up bit. Had a 3.1, turned over easy with a wrench on the crank. Wasnt wrecked either.

Maybe it had bad heads or something. If the timing chain broke, it would turn over easier than normal. Maybe they brake-torqued it and blew the trans. The 4T60 isn't exactly a great transmission as we all know. Most people don't service their own cars anymore and any of these repairs are some major coin at a shop.

Like the above post, people junk cars for many reasons. Just trying to offer reasonable ones here.

I rarely see any early GP's with missing or broken climate control buttons. I still have the original ones in my 255K mile '93 GP and they've been used a lot.

I see TONS of broken climate control buttons on early GPs, but it gets a LOT colder up here so that may have something to do with it..

Almost any GM HVAC knob will work, the ones in my car are clear ones out of a sunfire. (the rubber coating comes off easily) I plan to take the HVAC unit apart and replace the lights inside with red lights.

My camera sucks for night shots, but you get the idea.

CIMG3085.jpg

The reason for the Sunfire ones rather than the GP ones is the way they are made. Both are plastic with a rubber shell on them, however the j-body control knobs have ridges for grip under the rubber coating. The GP ones look like ass with the coating off.

FWIW, when I got my car 2 of the 3 knobs were broken, so they would not hold onto the post and basically fell off when you touched them.

Jamie

Many cars are junked because people are simply tired of them and don't know what else to do.

There's a junkyard close to me that has a used car lot attached to it. They buy running, good condition cars and try to sell them. They had a white '95 Corsica that was in perfect shape except for one rust spot (just surface rust too). After about three weeks of sitting on the car lot, they literally drove it to the back part of the junkyard, parked it, and took the wheels off of it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with that car, but they junked it anyway. I see that all the time.

I rarely see any early GP's with missing or broken climate control buttons. I still have the original ones in my 255K mile '93 GP and they've been used a lot.

x2 on my 191k GP. The paint isn't even wearing off the buttons. Hell, all of my buttons and everything are there, nothing is broke.. two cracks in the dash, one from a stereo install and one that was already there. I think the interior's held up great in mine.

And I use the climate controls a LOT, even here in KS.

Usually, it costs more to fix/keep the car running than it's worth.

Story of my life. :D

I still dont even know what they all do... I just normally use defog. Can anyone explain what each one does?

Rear defog = I know and use that

Max = For A/C?

MIX = Same as defog and floor? I never noticed that was different.

B/L = All I know is it comes out the main vents.

HTR = Heater? I dont know

VNT = Vent? Dont know