90 Grand Prix Quad 4...

meltboy1

So how rare is this? I was at the junk yard today and I am pretty sure it was a 90 with the quad 4... I know some W's came with it, but this is the first one I have personally seen...

Ws got the Quad, because I've seen at least 2 Quad 4/5-speed CSs on this site.

And IIRC ManicMechanic posted a link about a GP 4-door with the LO quad in it.

I posted up a 90 GP about a month ago with a Quad 4 in it.

How the hell is a quad4 enough to pull a GP? I had a 4tech, very similar motor, in a cutlass calais That I had.. It was 4 cylinder, but wasn't the dohc quad 4. 4tech ftw, and it was spunky, but it was a SMALL car.

The Pontiacs and Olds got the Junk4, err I mean quad 4. The Chevys got the Tech 4.

Ah. That's what it is. I've only seen the Lumina 4-bangers.

How the hell is a quad4 enough to pull a GP? I had a 4tech, very similar motor, in a cutlass calais That I had.. It was 4 cylinder, but wasn't the dohc quad 4. 4tech ftw, and it was spunky, but it was a SMALL car.

They're really not that similar. The Quad4 actually has more power than the 3.1 Vin T V6 (160 hp - 180 hp, depending on year). The Iron Duke (2.5L 4-Tech) only put out 105 hp. So believe it or not, they're just as good, if not a slight bit better at pulling the GP than the V6 most of them came with.

They're really not that similar. The Quad4 actually has more power than the 3.1 Vin T V6 (160 hp - 180 hp, depending on year). The Iron Duke (2.5L 4-Tech) only put out 105 hp. So believe it or not, they're just as good, if not a slight bit better at pulling the GP than the V6 most of them came with.

What he said.. They are pretty different. My Fiero has got the 4Tech in it, and I definetely wouldn't call it spunky.. And the Fiero is a small car...

Ya, I can imagine it would be pretty nutless... lol

But I had a friend in TX with a fiero and he had some work done to it, and hot damn that fucker was fast... lol

Ya, I can imagine it would be pretty nutless... lol

But I had a friend in TX with a fiero and he had some work done to it, and hot damn that fucker was fast... lol

Yeah, they can certainly be made to go fast for not a lot of $... 3800SC FTW!!

You can mod an Iron Duke 2.5, too. They can make decent power, especially for what they are.

You can, but IMO, the gains aren't worth the $$ to mod the 4Tech.. Now, the Super Duty 4 is a different story if that's what your talking about.. It makes some pretty good power for what it is.. It's based off the Duke, but with much better parts.. But there are so few SD4 motors around that they cost a pretty good chunk of change..

Cosworth modified, they used a 16 Valve head. Probably super high compression, since the entire thing is made of Iron.

In all reality, the Iron Duke would be a badass engine to boost, since it is all Iron. Wouldn't have to worry about aluminum heads warping from the heat, and from what I've read in the past, is easily modifiable to fit some big valve's as well.

Cosworth modified, they used a 16 Valve head. Probably super high compression, since the entire thing is made of Iron.

In all reality, the Iron Duke would be a badass engine to boost, since it is all Iron. Wouldn't have to worry about aluminum heads warping from the heat, and from what I've read in the past, is easily modifiable to fit some big valve's as well.

Yup. If I had the time and money that some individuals have on this site, I'd pick up a clean Cutlass Calais coupe and boost the shit out of it.

I'd just slap a turbo and intercooler on it. I wouldn't fuck with installing big valves. Look at the power Grand Nationals make with TINY valves. Head flow doesn't matter to a big enough turbo.

didn't the quad 4 put out like 175hp in some cars. Very good for a 4 banger and even a v6 back then. I would love to own a grand prix with one because its rare not for speed.

The W41 Quad 4 put out 190 hp in stock form. This was the highest NA 4 production 4 cylinder up until the late 90's/early 00's.

i would love to get my hands on a W41 5spd. :drool:

Quad4 was a good engine up until you had a problem with it. Then you had to be a rocket scientist to fix anything. Shit... my parents had their engine pulled and sent to Quebec to have it refurbed. The garage could not do the work... a capable one too.