Programing a remote for a Pontiac

shadow

I have the directions to program a remote for a 1990 Grand Prix turbo but I have a problem. The diagnostic port only has 4 pins with metal inside of them. Pin a is fine but pin g has no pin so I cant program it for my car? Do some car come with missing pins? thx

Chris

Where did you get those directions from? All you need to program the remote for factory keyless entry is to ground the harness dangling by the power antenna. Wait a few seconds after you do, and when you hear the power door locks cycle, hit any of the buttons on the remote. I believe it's programmed after that. I'm going off of memory from a few years ago, so there may be more to it after you ground that wire, but I'm positive on the grounding the wire part. You shouldn't need to touch the diagnostic port for anything.

Gmfan is correct. and it will work if you are lucky to have a still functioning unit. lol they had solderability issues.

Yeah the transmitter is brand new never used :biggrin: Do you know what this harness looks like? I looked at the ones where my power antenna was plugged but it didn't do anything. I could be trying the wrong harness or didn't keep it grounded long enough? do I have to press the transmitter button while its grounded? Thanks in advance.

Chris

there is a single black wire right near the power antenna. hold the wire against the bottom of the antenna and wait for the locks to cycle then push the lock button on the transmitter(s) let go of wire and voila. like i said thats if it is good. or if the car even has it. have you verified that it has the feature. you definately cant miss the wire because there is nothing else around it

It's standard on the TGP.

If you still can't figure out which wire it is, I'll try and snap a photo for you in the next day or two. But as rock said, the receiving unit itself is shot more often than not.