Headlight Care Tips

shadow

I see some of you have a black border around all the front lights on your TGPs? How can I get that black border and more importantly get rid of the yellowish tint that the headlights have. I see new non OEM ones selling on Ebay for like 90 bucks a piece :eek: I would like to salvage what I have.

Thanks

Chris

They are more than likely plastic if they are yellowed. Find some glass units from an 88 - 89 model year.

Yeah I would assume plastic too by the yellow color. Glass ones and even plastic OEM ones are nowhere to be found.

meguiars plastex.

thats hella good. I polished up the cutty sedan inner signals that are always puke yellow very nicely with it. I even shaved the lettering off on one set and then polished them! :lol:

what type of paint and prep do you guys recommend???

I see some of you have a black border around all the front lights on your TGPs? How can I get that black border and more importantly get rid of the yellowish tint that the headlights have. I see new non OEM ones selling on Ebay for like 90 bucks a piece :eek: I would like to salvage what I have.

Thanks

Chris

The black border is 1989 specific, but some people here have used paint, vinyl, etc. to reproduce that look on their 1990's.

ALL 89 TGPs red or black had the trim. 90's didnt.

Note: The car pictured on top with the trim is my TGP. It is a 1990 model, but I put the trim on there myself.

One other thing to mention is the 89's were all glass headlamps, and the paint refuses to stick on there for more than a month. I know, my '89 has been peeling since...if anyone can find a way to keep paint on glass, please share!

One other thing to mention is the 89's were all glass headlamps, and the paint refuses to stick on there for more than a month. I know, my '89 has been peeling since...if anyone can find a way to keep paint on glass, please share!

I'd get a cheap glass headlight from some junkyard car and try spraying that duplicolor bedliner spray on it. That stuff adheres well to metal and other stuff, so it should stick to glass and stay there for quite a while. I can take a picture of a piece of metal with it on there to show you what color black that stuff is.

Matt, here's some black 1989's..last night I just uploaded the first cars I found for comparison...

resize.jpg

This one below has the special RPO code "SNK"..aka sunk in the ground! :mrgreen:

img5093rv5.jpg

img5092qf6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

my 90 has glass head lights. the fog lamps while yellow after awhile but I use novus plastic polish. I think it is similiar to meguiars , my dad always used it one his boat for the roll up plexi windows. it works great with not too much work.