weird starter problem

stlunatics2oo3

okay i recently bought a rebuilt napa starter with the solenoid. I shimmed it with original shim. It started out fine and stuff but like after 4 days worth of working great it is doing this

i will turn the key and then i hear a click . so i turn the key to off position and try it again and it starts kinda sluggish. But sometimes it just starts perfect what could it be..

i replaced the battery last year but i still have a warranty

and i have a new altenator

please help me

thanks

Jeremy

Check and clean the battery terminals, and make sure they're tight. Also check the connections on the starter, make sure they're tight and clean also. It sounds like the starter isn't getting enough power for some reason, and since your battery is fairly new, and it's only once in a while, it's most likely the connections going to the starter.

okay i had the starter checked they said it has to be a connection i cleaned the battery terminals..

umm i think i am gonna trace down the wires goin to the starter solenoid ..

i kno one on the big bolt is to the battery but what are the other two .. if you kno please tell me so i can fix this

thanks

Jeremy

The top stud goes to the battery. You will most likely have two smaller wires on this one also. The small stud toward the front is the hot when the key is in the start position (you can jump these two to activate the starter) the bottom one goes inside the starter via that copper strap. They all have to be clean.

I would check that your pinion is not binding(hard to do, you have to take the solenoid off the starter so you can manually pull back on the solenoid plunger to engage the pinion) or just add a thin shim to insure that its not binding. I say this because you mentiond it starts sluggishly.

Let us know how you are doing.

Jud

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same problem. I just replaced the starter with a Napa rebuilt one, and same thing.

I did not notice any shims anywhere? Do they come with the starter?

All my connections are clean, and the terminals are tight. If you figure it out, let us know.

Jon

I have the exact same problem. I just replaced the starter with a Napa rebuilt one, and same thing.

I did not notice any shims anywhere? Do they come with the starter?

All my connections are clean, and the terminals are tight. If you figure it out, let us know.

Jon

In addition to the battery wire terminals being tight. Make sure you check the positive wire that goes near the fuel pump relay/fuse. That positive wire is usually held down by a nut. Just make sure that nut is tight and secure.