help! 90 Lumina dies when coasting....

LeeTheDeuce

Hi,

Have a 1990 chevy lumina 3.1. The car died so took it to my uncle he changed the ignition module, and i still have the same problem. Its like when u left off the gas to coast it can die randomly. anyone know what that might be?

Thanks,

Lee

Its more of when ur coming to a stop. you can be hitting the brakes but lets say even if u let off and were coasting a few miles an hour it could still kill. the rpm kinda fluctuates real low and then back up and it will die. I just drove it to get all the details as this is my girlfriends winter car right now. It didnt happen til it got fully warmed up. It also makes it hard to start again. it will want to die. but u can give it some gas to get going. so its when the car is totally hot and when ur coming to a stop.

Thanks for the fast response,

Lee

sounds like an iac and or a fuel problem.

are you maintenance capable?

I would do a full tune up.

new plugs, new air and FUEL filter Minimum. if the oil is old, change it. hows the tranny fluid look?

the iac is at the throttle body. pull that and clean out the port with carb cleaner.

remove the egr and clean out the port, I 'ream' it with a 1/2 inch drive extension to remove all the carbon, and wash it clean with carb cleaner whiloe holding the throttle butterfly open.

do these things and keep us posted if there is still a problem.

First, this does only happen once it gets warmed up i believe. Last time i used it the cruise control worked. And im pretty sure the vents switch but I am not a 100%. Also since i got the vehicle the low coolant light comes on randomly. I did think about the fuel filter I should have had him change it, I didn't expect him to "fix" it so fast he only had it for a day and fixed it before he even returned my message. but on his defense I told him it died and wouldnt start so maybe that was the problem and this is another problem. It dies but will start right up. also the rpms kinda fluctuate a little bit when its gonna die as you are coasting to a stop it like lobes where it drops down then comes back up. Thanks for the suggestions I am also gonna take it back to him but of course its friday so gotta wait until next week.

Thanks again,

Lee

And i double checked and the vents do switch. I was also considering the thermostat as a culprit. Now with the torque converter theory. Why would it not happen until it warmed up. I sure hope its not the tranny, although it does shift kinda hard into the overdrive. It also has the very common oil pump drive seal leak, but i just always keep the fluids full. Car is going back on Tuesday and we're gonna figure out what it is.

Thanks for the suggestions I will let you know,

Lee

...Why would it not happen until it warmed up...

I'd say it is either the IAC, or the torque converter clutch (TCC).

If it is the TCC, the reason you wouldnt have the issue until it warms up is that the car will not lock the TCC until it warms up. This is is so that the engine will rev a bit higher and warm up quicker.

Ok looks like its all fixed.

my uncle adjusted the tps i believe, it used a torx screw i know that, he took off the iac cleaned it too just in case,it was decent. He used intake /injector cleaner, and cleaned out the throttle body good and all that. then we reset the computer and let it learn. runs great now. Its crazy how those pre 95 cars have to learn, we put it up to a semi's back tire. Car runs way better now, better then it has since we got it and I never really had any complaints anyways for 700$. got it off craigslist and the guy gave me 2 new front brake calipers and shocks and wheel bearing. id say its done its job well so far this was first problem since july. low coolant light hasn't came back on yet since either. knock on wood.

Thanks for the suggestions and all the great feedback now i cant wait to get my regal back.

ya well i know that one gasket is kinda shot i believe the one on top of the water pump. or w/e by the belts. my uncle said they blow out alot, it leaks a small amount of coolant. Also the oil pressure gauge jumps around alot and goes pretty low and all the way up to. But it gets pretty close I dont worry about changing it yet. has the common oil leak problem with the drive seal which I will eventually get fixed. Just keep the fluids full and run it. Brand new blizzak tires on it though which is nice and the dude gave me a the old set of tires all 4 which still have great tread. He just got such a good deal on the tires he said that he had to get them on. Like I said before my uncle is a mechanic and bought his wife 92 lumina off the show room floor, so he has seen almost everything, he sold it to my grandpa which is his winter/rainy days car now used to be daily driver. He has a convertible sebring for nice days. his lumina has like 180k almost still runs like off the show room floor.

Thanks again,

Lee

it leaks a small amount of coolant.

That scares me. Just to make sure you're car is in nice working order..

Look under your oil fill cap to see if there's any white buildup.

it leaks a small amount of coolant.

That scares me. Just to make sure you're car is in nice working order..

Look under your oil fill cap to see if there's any white buildup.

Sounds like an external leak by the water pump in his description.

nothing bad under the cap, no white stuff, I remember because i take it off at least once a week to check the oil. but thanks for the concern and the replies. still running great g/f is back to driving it today, I would rather drive it myself but she has to drive something(unfortunately). Just like almost every other woman they cant drive and have no respect for a vehicle. so better the hoopty as she calls it then my jeep(which she already scared in an accident).

Peace,

Lee