USB Head Units

mra32

Has anyone had any experience with the usb head units? I want to hook my mp3 player (NOT an iPod) up with usb and have been looking at the pioneer head units with usb capability (DEH4000 UB, DEH 6900 UB). Is it easy to scan through the files with the head unit, or do you do it from the mp3 player? Does it sound better than just hooking it up to one of those front 1/8" aux in jacks? Also is there any extra equipment to get so i can actually hook the mp3 player up to the head unit?

Well if you hook it up via USB I don't see what the point of using your mp3 player to find songs instead of using the headunit, so if that's the case it makes no sense lol

What? Are you responding to me or him?

Has anyone had any experience with the usb head units? I want to hook my mp3 player (NOT an iPod) up with usb and have been looking at the pioneer head units with usb capability (DEH4000 UB, DEH 6900 UB). Is it easy to scan through the files with the head unit, or do you do it from the mp3 player? Does it sound better than just hooking it up to one of those front 1/8" aux in jacks? Also is there any extra equipment to get so i can actually hook the mp3 player up to the head unit?

i have been looking into it as well, i am pretty sure the sound quality would be better due to the fact that you arent going to be losing the signal through the headphone jack. also, it can recharge your mp3 player if it has a built in battery when ever you are playing it.

you scan through the songs using the Headunit, so prety much the mp3 player is a storage device.

i heard these don't work with zunes, is this true?

i have no idea....that is a good question....it would prolly tell you on the website...

• 3 weeks later...

so with one of these USB things, couldnt I just put a flash drive in it as well?

Yes. I used a laptop hard drive with mine, one of the smaller ones that is USB powered. Aside from the initial load time where it has to scan the hard drive (and I had 60+GB of music on it, so this took about 2 minutes, in which time you could play the radio after initially selecting "USB" so the initialization could start) it worked perfectly, as long as you set the folder structure up so it is easy to navigate.

I'd recommend the 6900UB to anyone. I miss mine, I wish I'd kept it. I never listen to CD's anyway.