Powering amp question

ihateallmustangs

Ok im not big into car audio. I hooked up an amp to my stock deck. I have had this amp in 3 other cars and have just connected the power to the fuse panel slot marked IGN. Now since these w-bodys do not have this option I tapped my amp into the small yellow wire running into the deck. This sound system is by no means a power house at all. The amp is prolly about 10 years old and I use it to run a 10" sub. So I have the main power hooked up to the decks yellow ign and at the sub I have have a wire "bridgeing" .The amp works perfect this way just wondering if this could cause any problems.

I would never power my amp that way.

I mean you CAN but its severe bottlenecking and will heat up your wires from resistance and possibly turn green or corrode if the battery ever gets low.

go from the aux post thru the firewall. at least get a walmart amp wiring kit.

WOW I have never heard of anyone powering an amp from the deck, there just inst enough power there, its kinda like plugging in 15 items into a wall outlet in your house, you will blow the breaker, but cars dont have breakers, they just blow, I would recommend that you wire it straight from the battery or aux post if you have it.

Now unless we are all reading this wrong, are you talking about the remote wire from the amp? Cause if so your deck should have a wire labled "power antenna" that is the wire you would hook that up too. That would tell the amp to turn on when the deck is turned on. But if you are talking about the main power source, I would never hook that up to the deck, you have such a great chance of burning wires.. try explaining to your insurance company why your car lit on fire in a few months LOL

The wires that you are using to power your amp are about a quarter of the size you would want an amp wire to be :). To be honest, I've done what you're doing before...and it only results in blown fuses. An, as the others have mentioned, it will probably result in a fire.

It's ok to use your remote wire from your radio, but you'll want to run a separate, fused, high current wire to your battery. Oh, and make sure you make a good ground in your trunk, as well.

I've heard that unless you've done the big three you'll want to run your cable powering your amp straight from the battery...

lol, doing the big 3 and wiring your amp through your radio harness would just result in your wires melting together faster :redface:

You never should wire your sub amplifier, or any other high current device through the radio harness; Especially your stock radio. The wires just aren't big enough...You can't squeeze 20 extra amps out of a wire that is already taking 10...with the wire being 12 gauge (at best).

The big three is useful if you're running a higher end setup that is pulling a lot of power; but in a low power setup (I would say anything under 600 watts) it isn't really necessary.

I've heard that unless you've done the big three you'll want to run your cable powering your amp straight from the battery...

lol, doing the big 3 and wiring your amp through your radio harness would just result in your wires melting together faster :redface:

You never should wire your sub amplifier, or any other high current device through the radio harness; Especially your stock radio. The wires just aren't big enough...You can't squeeze 20 extra amps out of a wire that is already taking 10...with the wire being 12 gauge (at best).

The big three is useful if you're running a higher end setup that is pulling a lot of power; but in a low power setup (I would say anything under 600 watts) it isn't really necessary.

No I guess I mean to say that I heard it's not as efficient to run your amp off your aux post because the wire going to it isn't that big, that you'd get more power going straight from the battery. Sorry for not being clear enough lol I would never suggest powering an amp from the harness haha

No I guess I mean to say that I heard it's not as efficient to run your amp off your aux post because the wire going to it isn't that big, that you'd get more power going straight from the battery. Sorry for not being clear enough lol I would never suggest powering an amp from the harness haha

lol, I know what you mean...I wouldn't be able to type my own name if it didn't say SilkTrip at the top of the page :redface:

if you run a new charge wire to the aux post then continue right to the amp. Its the main path of power from when you do the big 5.

your system should be powered by the alt not the battery.

It should use either one though if it wants.

Ive run wires right off the alt before...

Its best to go from the battery as it acts as a filter and can provides more power to cover if the alt fully gets drained.

Anyways...

Unless your amp is like 20 WRMS X 2 you should not do what your thinking of or have done.

The size of the amp will determine the appropriate wiring you need.

If you do what your thinking you will jsut blow fuses and risk a fire. Its simply not worth it.

http://www.knukonceptz.com

Cap instead of a battery with a deep cycle battery in the trunk?

Wheres the cap going?

A cap is perfectly fine and dandy providing your alternators got the balls to support everything on it...

the cap provides a grounding point lost when relocating the battery and the also provides the ultra quick power needed to supply the ignition and other car accessories.

Ok well to be on the safe side I disconnected it. Now with my cutlass I was major lazy and just powered the amp off the electric antenna motor so basicly the amp was on for 2 years straight with no problems :lol:. But I would pull the fuse to depower it sometimes. But id like to wire it up right for a change.