What temp does your Cutlass idle at?

Dannymik

I have noticed this problem since the day I have owned my 1995 Cutlass(5 years ago). These babies hit a high temp at red lights, idle, or really hot days. I believe mine will reach as high as 230 degrees and then the fans kick on! What where they thinking when they didn't put any kind of grill to help this? What do you all suggest? Radiator flush? Help :o :bs:

w-body.jpg

Yeah I know how you feel...I don't know what the hell they were thinking?

All I know is you have a 195 degree F thermostat, and the primary cooling fan only comes on once the temp has reached 227 degrees F.

When I complain, I always get the answer "these engines were MADE and designed to run HOT"...whatever...

A cooling system flush and fill can only help, so it's NEVER a bad idea...the boiling point of coolant gets worse as it ages, so this is a good service to get done, and should only be like $40-$60...

I thought about doing a flush myself, but never attempted one or watched someone do one. I'm not very confident on messing with this and Valvoline charges like $69.99 which I feel is high! Anyone have easy to understand instructions that I can use? 1995 Cutlass Supreme 3100 SFI

w-body.jpg

I can do a write up on a home-made Rad Flush, but give me some time... (later tonight?)

Yes, coolant age has some effect on system temps, but it sounds more like a sticking thermostat.

You may want to invest in a lower temp 'stat (180* degrees) from AutoZone, etc.

Coolant level is correct and the system is properly bleed?

- Erik

Honestly...I know I need a flush. Is there any clogs, not sure. Will the lower therm affect performance?

w-body.jpg

1995 Cutlass Supreme 3100 SFI, K&N drop in, 225/50/16

Honestly...I know I need a flush. Is there any clogs, not sure. Will the lower therm affect performance?

Well, depending on your certain driving conditions, you'll may gain or lose but it's so little, it's hard to tell. But, you will have lower tempretures circulating through your block which helps thermodynamic effeciency.

The good: better throttle response, possible increase fuel econ

The bad: possible decrease in fuel econ, lower cabin heater temps for winter

- Erik

I notice that when my GP is running hot I turn on the A/C and it goes right back down to about 195 even in stop and go. Once the secondary fan kicks on it cools down quick. If your idling in stop and go for a while its a good idea.

I don't think that's normal. Check your radiator fans. Getting hot at idle and red lights is a classic symptom of bad radiator fan motors.

My 89 and 94 rarely even get above 200.

I had the radiator flushed out today @ Valvoline and my temps are more normal now. I had to top of my reserve with a little more antifreeze, but noticed my car running at 200 and the idle is yet to be determined. It was only a 3 mile ride home and was reading 210-215 at the red light. So I'll keep my eye on it tomorrow, because work is a 20 mile ride with lots of lights. One thing that did stick out after I pulled out of Valvoline is that the temp went way up to like 240-45 degrees for like 10-15 seconds and then shot down to 200. There must of been some air or something circulating :P !

w-body.jpg

my 88 got hot like that all the time. i pulled the fans out and checked them, cuz i wouldn't give them enough time to come on. my car would wait till right before the red marking on the gauge and then throw the fan on. when it's back together i plan on wiring my primary fan to a toggle switch

I either get a 180 temp term or toggle one of the fans. Speaking of fans, how can i test them without getting the temp to where they turn on. For some reason I think the one is non-functional :?: :!: :?: :!:

w-body.jpg