Bose speaker system

kfahn

ok, i want a better sound system. That said, i am considering converting my current sound system to that offered in the '97+ GP's with the Bose option. Does anyone know if that system has an amp/crossover, and what kind of wiring would be required for this project?

you would be much better off going with aftermarket....

the bose system in GM cars is very complex. the head unit in the dash is actually just a switch box. the actual compnents of the radio are in the trunk and should be mounted behind a panel on the back of the seat. you would have to gut all of that as well as all the wiring and the speakers... it would sound much better if you did aftermarket deck and speakers. not only would you save A LOT of money but you would also get much better, more controlable sound out of it.

Look in the thread about installing 6x9s. i went into detail about doing a full setup. i am a professional, MECP certified installer. you can save a lot of money and get much better shound.

but the call is yours not mine, but that is the route i would go.

- Justin

I wouldn't call it a switch box..

It's a regular Delco headunit, just without the built in amplifier. It sends preamp signals out to the amplifier which is in the trunk, behind the glove box, or, on some older bose systems, on each speaker.

I wired up an old bose system from a 94 camaro in my samurai. It wasn't too hard to do (since the vehicle is so small), but I did have to study how the system works. I don't care how it sounds, it doesn't get loud enough half of the time anyway, it's just something to listen to.

Just go aftermarket.. even if you can get a bose system cheap, or for free, don't install it, it's not going to be worth all the time and hassle your going to spend getting the wires run and everything working right. Even than, it's not gonna sound any better than what you have. If you haven't already, install new aftermarket speakers, and keep your factory headunit. You won't believe how much better it will sound after just doing that.

good lookin out, i just thought that since it sounded so good in the 99 GP at my house, it would be good in mine too! I'm not too sure what direction that i want to go to with mine, but i do so love the Bose systems!

good lookin out, i just thought that since it sounded so good in the 99 GP at my house, it would be good in mine too! I'm not too sure what direction that i want to go to with mine, but i do so love the Bose systems!

the other thing about this is when bose does car audio via contract for GM, it is also designed around the acoustics of the car generally. when you start frankensteining things, the sound isnt set up right and you would most likely loose sound quality.

a good option to do is go with your factory head unit, add a cd changer via FM modulation and then do a good set of speakers and a small amp, something like a sony 400watt 4 channel.

Im dealing with Sony amps, im not too big of a fan of them (mostly because of running subs) but for highs, a small 4 channel is good enough and the sonys arent to badly priced... check it out... if you need any other help, lemme know either in a thread or PM me. I am an MECP Certified "mobil electronics installer - that and about a bux will get ya a cup of coffee somewhere - but it sounds cool) but i have plenty of experience, mostly in high dollar install for Denver Broncos players.

- Justin

all bose bashing aside, the GP Bose system does kick ass, but i understand what you mean with the acoustics, it would be a completely different setup and it would lose some of the effect. I would, however like to piggyback the idea that bose used. In the rear set of speakers there is a 6x9, i believe, a tweeter, and a 3.25", it seems to cover the sound spectrum rather well, and i wonder whether i might be able to use this idea, just with aftermarket speakers and amp?

PM me and let me know how much money you are looking to spend and i will help you out and get you a sound system that will dominte all...

the biggest thing with anything car related is that you have to sit back and wait for the deals... i just me a pair of MTX 12's - the most welfare sub that MTX has, for $35 each and im hittin 148db on a fosgate amp with cheap ass 12's...

like i said, PM and let me know what you want to spend and i can get you pointed in the right direction

- Justin