The Cost of Owning a W body (updated for 2008)

ns87

• 10 months later...

Very nice! All I've been doing is saving all my receipts. Now I'm about $800 or so in the hole. Ah well. It's running under it's own power and driving, and that's all I've ever asked for out of the ol' gal. :cool:

This has actually been a good year for me, and I'm around $1000 in repairs & maintenance for 2008 between the terrible twosome:

1 Coolant flush for each.

2 Oil changes for each

1 Tranny flush for AJAMII

1 Serpentine belt and water pump for AJAM II

1 pair of front brakes pads and rotors for AMY

1 seal on oil pan for AMY replaced.

I don't do my own work. I take my car to Dr. Phil - he takes care of them and I take care of him.

Loved reading your spreadsheets Notsoslim!! Excellent work. This reminds me of my budgeting towards the house, except I was anticipating costs and expenses, etc - but still based on prior history.

damn you keep good records!! i have been doing the same thing for years, but i never did document the prices of the maint, insurance or gas.

Thanks! The gas is kind of a fudged number. Take the miles driven and divide by average fuel economy (20 :lol:). Then that gives me gallons used. Multiply that by an average price (I chose $3.20 for this year) , and that gives total gas cost. I would be such a sad man if I saved every receipt for gas :willynilly:

Loved reading your spreadsheets Notsoslim!! Excellent work. This reminds me of my budgeting towards the house, except I was anticipating costs and expenses, etc - but still based on prior history.

thank you! Excel is really good when you budget something because it is really easy to change numbers around and see how it effects things

Lumina needed 6 injectors and a plenum gasket, front brake hoses and that was it. Drive it into the ground! lol..

TSX costs me nothing but fuel and my payment.

I don't even want to discuss how much time and money I've put in the CS...

The van has just needed a computer this past year.

So far, I'm about $525 in the Blazer including the cost of the truck. And I've driven it to work and back with no problem. Just the lack of power steering is making my carpal tunnel and arthritis hurt like a mofo...

"I did that for mine but i lost it all before was smart enough to back it all up

lol i save lots of money and that is why i am rich

lol i wish :mrgreen:

Just did my own calculations, and the Regal has cost me $0.13 per mile to drive, now at 191,700 miles. However, I'm sure that price has a lot to do with the fact that aside for the transmission rebuild, I've done all of the work myself.

So far, I have dumped about $5000 including price for car. I still have it in the shop as of right now getting the top end gaskets, TSS, and timing belt done. I think the total is going to be about $1200 for all the work.

My 96 Lumina, I've put NO money into it except for gas, oil, an alternator, front pads/rotors, and a wheel bearing.

My 97 Lumina, I've done a gas tank, sender and fuel pump, water pump, radiator, condenser, alternator, front pads/rotors, gas and oil.

My 97 LS, LIMs, tires, brakes, gas tank, radiator, alternator, battery, gas and oil.

My 90.... don't even know where to begin; I have way too much money into that one...gotta have at least $3k in it.

But all in all, I did all of the preventative maintanence like tune-ups and filters and such when I bought them, and since then I have hardly put any money into them. And they are all really reliable, and mileage ranges from 92k-154k on them, so I found a good batch of cars.

Oh boy. The Regal got new pads and discs on the front. Then new belts and a tensioner. That was fun. Some new hoses (may need more). Then you add up the oil changes (probably @ 4) and you're sitting at about $800. Not bad.

Moving closer to town and getting rid of that g-d Taurus has saved a boatload of money.