The Cost of Owning a W body (updated for 2008)

ns87

Rather than doing my school work on Excel, I put my maintenance and repair records in it for fun. It turned into an in depth project, and tabulating the costs really shows the difference between doing work yourself, and having a repair shop do the work.

The first two years were terrible in costs, and I almost wish my parents sold the car rather than fix it :lol:  If I can continue to drive the car somewhat problems free, I think the costs will balance themselves out.

Last but not least, I must say I love my parents. They paid the majority of the bills in 2004 and 2005.

http://www.geocities.com/fenny76114/car.xls

I printed screen shots for those without Excel

Wow I never had to put that much money into a car. Mind you I do 99% of the labour myself, save money that way.

I do all my own labour also, except for transmissions, and bodywork, both of which are big $$$$.

WOW you have a lot of money into your Cutty

Props for putting the work into it :thumb:

I probably have approximately $5000 into my TGP (including original purchase cost)

and I have approx. $1,000 into my SE, including original purchase cost.

Worth every penny.

well all 3 of mine combined I have to have about $20k in them.

Ouch.

But they treat me well......

i like how people say wow about that....i have over 30k into my w's hahaha

I dunno what I have....probably $7-8k in mods....That's if you add it up in retail terms...but I've made most of mine as one-off pieces...so it is hard to document when stuff was made for basically free, minus my own time.

the only things I've had to replace, Headgasket, brake rotors and pads, window switch, and random engine sensors that go out w/ use.

My '93 has about $2K into it in oil changes alone(my rent's used to have the oil changed @ places that were like $25.99-29.99 over the years). My oil changes since I've owned it have averaged around $12-13 each. I have maintenance records for the entire lifetime of the car...I'll eventually add everything up. It's not very expensive to keep on the road at all. I've been doing all my work myself for several years now, so it's super cheap to maintain.

Ive got more than $10,000 EASY. and it doesnt help that I keep buying shit. Once I put my new motor in thats another $2,000+

I feel you, but I refuse to make a spreadsheet detailing everything. At some point I'll start. But at over 190k its somewhat pointless, imho. At least to be that detailed. The car was purchased for 2,000 three and a half years ago, and about the only things that haven't been replaced are the cooling system and the power steering system.

Brand new a/c system, stereo, alarm/remote/keyless, front end, suspension, motor/tranny (#3 for the car) 4 fuel pumps, 3 alternators... and now I have a tie rod bad that was one of the first parts I replaced on the car. >.<

Also, little, irritating things... window motors for driver and passenger, 2 antenna masts (hence the reason I never let people drive my car now...)

DOOR HANDLES :lol:

I feel you. :)

I dont have nearly as much in my W as some of you but I still dont want to find out just how much..I bought the car for $1,500 almost three years ago, and probably have 3 or 4 times that in maitenance...

my hondr has been pretty cheap run over the past 4.5 yrs.

tires

oil changes

water pump

plugs

wires

Timing belt and tens.

drives side halfshaft

battery

....i paid 1400 for it..and I could easily get that out of it.

Now on my GP, I know I've spent more to insure it than what I've spend on repairs in the last 4.5 yrs

Add me to the 10k plus club.

Which includes my cost and a $3200 jasper motor replacement. :Yikes_anim:

But, I love the car.

To put it into perspective, this is my daily driver, and its going into the garage when the weather gets better so I can drive my vert.

benzo.JPG