Hello from new member and 91 Regal digital dash upgrade question

tmhd2

Hi everybody I just signed up yesterday. I recently purchased a 91 Regal from a friend. The car is overall very clean and in great shape. It needs rear brakes (surprise, surprise!) and some other age/mileage work. I'm glad to have found this place, as it seems like quite the resource.

My Regal started out life with the basic digital dash. In fact, the entire car is about as basic as they come right down to the crank windows and manual locks! I've always been a fan of the full-blown digital clusters, and lucked out on finding a 91 Regal UB3 on ebay. I have been using the heck out of the search button here and managed to locate a nice list of pinouts. I have the dash 95% working correctly in the car, but would really like some help from somebody who has been here and done this before regarding the gear selector display. The original dash has it actuated via a cable and the UB3 it is electronic. I'm kind of at a loss as to how to wire it up. I do see on the pinout that B5-B8 are for the PRNDL switch input. I do have a white and gray wire left over, but not yellow or black/white. Are the leftover wires for hooking this up or do I need to run additional wire? Or is this another piece to the puzzle altogether?

I appreciate whatever insight anybody can offer me. Thanks.

tom

I already had a 95 GP so I'm already used to the insanity. lol :willynilly:

I just managed to find a matching wheel cover for the Regal on ebay so now I have all 4. Just gotta do the brakes and finish the cluster up and It'll be out there killin' bugs again.

Tom

when you say cable and electronic driven, i assume you are talking about the gear selector. If you have the column shift all you have to do is take off the fake panel and place the original cable setup in its place. If you have console shift leave the black plate. I may be incorrect but unfortunately i am not all that familiar with the regals. DO you havea haynes manual by chance I can print out the pinouts at work on monday if you would like

It is a custom. About the most basic Regal you could buy. 3.1 motor. It has crank windows, no power locks, 14" steel wheels, etc. It does have air, tilt, and a cassette player. I think that's about it for options.

rockfangd - the car has a column shift. The original dash has a cable that comes up from the shifter and attaches to a mechanical display that moves a pointer back and forth to indicate what gear the car is in. The Regal UB3 dash displays this information on a digital readout, which requires electronic input. It would appear that I need to remove the cable and mechanical display altogether and find the four wires that the dash needs to input the signal (i did find the pinouts on this site). It says it needs PRNDL switch input on B5, B6, B7, AND B8. These wires should be white, gray, yellow, and black/white respectively.

I do have a white wire and a gray wire which did not find a home in the main connector for the dash. I'm assuming that they might be for PRNDL input, but I do not know. I have not gotten to the point of taking the column or any more of the dash apart (it is kind of cold here in MI).

I'm pretty certain that I will have to remove the cable that attaches to the shifter to actuate the mechanical indicator, but will the necessary wires be available to hook the electronic display up, or do I need more parts?

Thanks

Tom

I was looking over some wiring diagrams this weekend and saw that the park / neutral position switch has the exact same number of wires and they are the exact same color as the wires that the wiring diagram says go to the cluster. Am I barking up the right tree when I assume that this might be the answer?

I PM'd you the other day. I have the floor shift so never used the PRN123.

I was wondering if you got the module that goes under the radio. That grey wire is a spare illumination wire that can be split off to light one of the three buttons on that module. I also used a yellow wire to activate the trip odometer button. I skipped the cluster toggle button and left it all on USA setting rather than metric.

Sorry I didn't reply to your pm sooner. The weather here has been crappy and I haven't done anything with the Buick in a week or so. I had a digital dash originally but no trip odometer so it only has the eng / metric button and nothing else. I have yet to figure out how I want to wire that in. Hopefully I'll find the correct module before I'm done with the project.

Thanks again

Tom