Am I Getting Shafted?

Fleeingpepper

1995 CS

To start; the search function is such a nice thing. And faster than asking.

Searched my problem, found out my turn signal switch is on the fritz. (Surprise surprise) So since the replacing of that requires taking out the airbag I'm gonna have a shop fix it. Plus I'm in school and my dad's paying for it.

I explained what was wrong and how the part costs about $55 according to the tutorial posted here 100 times.

My dad took the liberty of calling the shop and asking what it would cost and they told him about $200. They say $105 is labor. I don't know what the average mark up of parts is, but in the A/C business it's not nearly that much! Plus for a job that isn't THAT hard compared to some other ones the labor seems to be high.

So am I being cheated, or would all places charge that much? (Not stealership, shops.)

The process isn't hard, just tedious. They are probably charging you for what the book quotes it for- 2 hours worth of work, and if the mechanic that just happens to get the job has never done one before, it's going to take him 2 hours. $105 isn't bad, especially if your taking it to a shop.

Well now that I know I'm not getting ripped off or anything, I can just hope the shop remembers the car has steering wheel controls. Hopefully they keep both kinds of switches stocked. Because if they order it and order the one without, I would be pissed!

1 WHERE DO YOU LIVE?

2 No seriously, the job is not that hard. and the difference is minimal between SWRC and NON-swrc steering wheel controls. ask for the old part back, if your swrc doesn't work afterwards, you can recycle the part to fix your swrc.

I'll do it for under that cost if you wanna drive to my place. LOL

Tulsa, Oklahoma! One of the best places in Oklahoma.

I'm sure it's not hard, but I'm over cautious about the airbag.

pull the fuse! touch nothing until that is done and you will be safe.

In fact... most on the turn signals I have worked on did not need replacing, rather... they needed to be taken apart, cleaned, and lubricated.

one of our members has an excellent write-up. you should read it before a final decision is made.

I do have that bookmarked. I'm not nervous about the airbag going off. I'm more worried about screwing something up with that and it not working right when I need it. That's where I got the price for the part at $55. Although the price is outdated, it's a good rough estimate today.

I paid over $130CAN for my switch, and that was at my buddies cost @ GM. I'm sure it can be had cheaper elsewhere. I'd try and fix yours first though - apparently they normally just need the contacts pushed down tighter and a cleaning. I was unlucky as one of my contacts had boken off.

wow, i must've gotten shafted then. Mine went out on my car, and I think the total cost for part + labor ended up around $250+. I also had to have whatever that joint is around the t_rods welded, so it was a little more.