Engine Lift. I think I need a new one.

Crazy K

yes. I have an engine lift I got used for $50. it is a custom made one that looks like it came out of a factory around WWII... complete with cast steel wheels and all. It assembles... it has a newer hydraulic ram (ie like 10 to 20 years old)... which has just failed in the middle of me unloading a truck.

When I pulled the first engine off, I was having trouble gaining the height needed to raise it, and basically wound up draggin it off the truck bed. It seems like it was low on fluid, and I added some transmission fluid I had to the jack.... and now it doesn't work anymore. I think the bleeder must not be sealing after I pulled it off to add fluid. On top of which.... at the height that I was reaching with the lift... if was kind of being tipsy.

so. I could keep my cheap ancient tipsy lift and spend about 50 on a new ram... or get a new one that will be easier to roll, fold up, and transport... on top of not being a tetanus nightmare.

your thoughts? what do you recommend?

pep boys 2 ton

vs.

harbor frieght

or know of any other good deals? I was thinking a fold up 2 ton would be nice.

I have experiance with both of those.

First I purchased the Harbor Frieght one. But two support bars would not line up right. So I returned it and went to Pepboys and purchased the Torin 2 ton. Much better. I received a mail in rebate and everything lined up. It was also cheaper.

I recommend Torin. I am very happy with my purchase.

Do not get a 1 ton. Get a 2 ton or bigger.

I refuse to buy anything from Harbor Freight.

Everything I have bought has broken within a couple weeks of buying it.

Especially with tools, I spring for Craftsman. Whether you buy them at a garage sale or at the Sears store, you can walk in and exchange them for free. Lifetime warranty for the win.

I'd go with the Pep Boys rig. Quality is important when it comes to moving engines. You get a cheap one, it fails on you and you drop a block on the ground... not a pretty site, ya know.

I hope to be swapping engines like the maniac that I am... soon. I need to make a few roller carts for the engines and trannies littering this dump. yeah... I have 4 loose engines and ... and... I lost count but about 8 transmissions. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Harbor Freight sells a lot of junk. I've had a lot of their shit break on me too. We ordered my engine stand from there. When it came it there were huge holes in the box and almost all of the hardware (bolts etc) was missing from the box. I realize it was probably abused in shipping, but it was just plain poorly packaged on top of that. I don't think the bolts were even in bags or anything.

I was pretty skeptical of anything at Pep Boys with the "Big Red" Torin label on it, but I ended up getting their foldable hoist when it was on sale and I haven't had any problems with it.

The Pep Boys one works fine(been using one for the past three years now). The best time to buy is around Christmas when they sell them around $100ish.

dammit. Where's my flux capacitor???? :lol:

well, still a deal.

just got your messages ken, i'd have recommended the new one. my phone was off all weekend, we went away for the weekend to take care of valentine's day being during the week.

i have the summit racing one, a 2 ton unit is great to have.