Cleaning the engine this Spring.....

Guest GrandPrixlover1

Guest GrandPrixlover1

When this spring comes I want to clean the engine off to where I can get it to be a very clean look. How would I go about doing this? Should I use anything to srub the exhaust manifolds, valve covers? I would love to hear your suggestions. Here's a picture of the engine:

HPIM0152.jpg

You can actually buy stuff to spray on there.

You spray it on, let it sit then hose it off, with the engine running. If the engine isn't running when you do it, you might not get it to start again for a few days. Yes, I speak from experience :redface:

Whatever you buy, let me be the first to say DO NOT buy Castrol Super clean, otherwise known as the purple stuff. That shit eats aluminum. If you don't get it all off, in due time, the residue could start eroding at parts.

I THINK when I did my engine I used Simple Green.

Spray 9 might work too, thats what my sister uses on her motorcycles engine.

Jamie

Guest GrandPrixlover1

Should it clean that yellow stuff off the exhaust manifold too? If I buy spray stuff, I'm gonna buy simple green. I hear it's amazing. As long as it doesn't hurt my engine or damage any parts i'm fine with it.

Simple green might... you will likely have to scrub at it though.

I used simple green on my wheels when I first got the car, it got years of caked on brake dust off like it was just sitting there.

If you go to your local auto parts store you might be able to find other things that claim to get rid of that.

Jamie

Good write up :thumb:

I'd only change/add a couple points...

The LQ1s should be left running. I talked to a guy that details cars at a GM dealer, the LQ1 is the only GM engine hes done that never starts back up after getting wet. Keep it running, you should be fine, I like to take mine for a nice drive afterwards to evaporate any water thats gotten down the spark plug holes.

* Again, avoid prolong soaking of the ignition coils, ECM, and also the gaskets. Yes, they can get slightly wet, but don't hold the water pressure against it. You could have problem with starting the car back up. **

Avoid staying in one spot anywhere in the engine bay, keep the stream of water moving around. It just helps keep water out of where its not supposed to be. By moving it around your not exposing critical parts to prolonged pressure, which will just push water into tighter spots.

Jamie

I use Industrial Grade straight Simple Green on all my engines.

For example, this is what my SE engine bay looked like when I got it:

My89GPSEBEFOREPicsNov32007014.jpg

Then after I soaked the entire engine bay in simple green, scrubbed it, and sprayed it off:

My89GPSEBEFOREPicsNov32007016.jpg

Guest GrandPrixlover1

What can I use to scrub the engine? Also should I just keep the engine running while I wash it? I think If I cover the electronics I should be okay. I always thought that if I ran water over hot metal I'd crack a head, or my exhaust, or intake manifold.

The LQ1s should be left running. I talked to a guy that details cars at a GM dealer, the LQ1 is the only GM engine hes done that never starts back up after getting wet. Keep it running, you should be fine

I've never had a problem with spraying mine down while the engine is off. :dunno: It starts right back up.

The spark plug wires don't really do anything to seal water out.

Make sure to blow all the water out of the spark plug holes.

That's probably the problem he's been getting.

The spark plug wires don't really do anything to seal water out.

Make sure to blow all the water out of the spark plug holes.

That's probably the problem he's been getting.

Hell yes, be sure to do this, especially on the 3.4. After cleaning my engine one time, I had a humongous miss. I ended up having to run into my dads shop, as he had a nice long air nozzle, and spraying out all of the water.

Guest GrandPrixlover1

Honestly, I would bag up the wires, and then make sure to blow out the wholes.

GrandPrixLover, your engine is cleaner than 90% of the people on this board!

Thanks for the compliment man, but Yeah I mostly just want to get the yellow nasty looking stuff off my exhaust manifold and have a cleaner look to the metal. Make everything nice and shiny.

The yellow nasty stuff my guess is from it getting hot...

I would clean the engine down with simple green like 50/50. Then if its not clean maybe some degreaser in the stubborn spots and then if you want them to be real clean....polish the metal.

I use the black magic stuff. You use the whole can soak the entire motor. Get a little squirt bottle with water sqirt and wipe and it looks great heres before and after of a 1996 Regal.

dsc00985ve5.th.jpg

dsc01107zv7.th.jpg

I use the black magic stuff. You use the whole can soak the entire motor. Get a little squirt bottle with water sqirt and wipe and it looks great heres before and after of a 1996 Regal.

dsc00985ve5.th.jpg

dsc01107zv7.th.jpg

GET A BETTER IMAGE HOST!! Gigantic popups are ANNOYING!!

Only because I have IE here at work, but fuck that's annoying as hell. Nice engine tho.