Robby1870

Alright, I got some ?s about the VSS

1) What are symptoms of a bad one?

2) Where is it? (Thanks for nothing Haynes Manual)

3) How much for a new one?

I just really think mine is going bad. Sometimes the speedo will read right, then I'll hit bump, and it wont, it'll jump around when I press the brake, then I'll hit another bump and it'll work fine. I dont have a undercharge problem, the low voltage light has never come on, and it starts right up everytime, and the speedo is the only gauge (of my 3) that is affected. Thanks for any input

Robby

1.) Sensor should read about 190 - 250 ohms with a ohmetter between terminals. While in drive, the resistance (while the car is running) should vary with speed... if not, dead sensor.

2.) It's on the transmission itself. In my Chilton's manual, says you'll have to raise the vehicle to gain access. But other than that, there's no pictures or diagrams... so sorry man.

3.) Less than $20? tops new. Cheaper than rocks at a local yard.

According to the manual, it deals with the EGR system, Cruise Control, shift light (if manual transmission), and the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) system. I can dig up something more if you're in a bind... Let me know. Sounds like more like the instument panel itself, but that's a left field guess at the moment.

- Erik

Yeah, I Know the VSS controls TCC lockup. Im thinking maybe the cluster, but I just dont know. Maybe I'll upgrade to the full analog gauges, lol

Robby

2) Where is it? (Thanks for nothing Haynes Manual)

On an automatic, it's located on top of the transmission near where the passenger side half shaft is inserted. There's a 2 wire connector attached to it. (purple & yellow wires, I think)

I believe it can be reached from the top (maybe not on a DOHC) (may need to move the engine forward for better access).

I havent used the cruise in like 2 years, so I honestly dont know if that is good or not, it was working fine the last time I used it though. I'll get it checked out this weekend, hopefully.

Robby