New to the site and looking at buying my 1st GTP

1tinindian

Hi, everyone.

I have always wanted a 94-96 GTP and recently found one for sale and want some ideas on what I should expect to pay for it.

Its a green 95 3.4, 153,000 miles, no rust, and the intereor is just in need of a good cleaning, nothing ripped.

I know that the current owner has always treated it good, and has maintained it well. It's been sitting for about a year and half because the owner has grown tried of driving it in favor of a 4x4 truck.

I do know that it needs the heater core replaced, and has had the common oil leaks fixed.

I live in Iowa and would lke to know what I should be looking at as far as price goes.

I also know that the 3.4 has a reputation, so I don't need to hear how I should avoid the car because of this engine. LOL!

Thanks, in advance, and I really enjoy the thought of being a "W" owner soon.

Leon

Thanks guys, she was kinda hinting about wanting $2000, but knows that it is getting old and has alot of miles, so there may be an opening for a low-ball offer.

I was kinda thinking in the $1500 range myself, mostly due to the miles.

Are these pretty good cars, besides the timing belt?

And I came here for pricing info, because these cars just don't come around my area that often, so I really don't have any idea what their going for.

Leon

If you ever need to change the alt you may be in some trouble, but reliability wise i love my 3.4 to death and would trust it to go anywhere (except when it tries to shoot itself with a spark plug).

If you ever need to change the alt you may be in some trouble, but reliability wise i love my 3.4 to death and would trust it to go anywhere (except when it tries to shoot itself with a spark plug).

Check the FAQ section for my 45 minute alternator job. LOL when I did it, I timed myself.

Check the FAQ section for my 45 minute alternator job. LOL when I did it, I timed myself.

True, but you knew what you were doing. Those that are not that mechanically inclined will have to pay out the ass to have it done.

I actually pretty much taught myself automotive repair with that vehicle, since it was always breaking.

These cars a pretty easy to repair. The timing belt can be tricky(so I hear, I've never got to do it, but have always wanted to), but that's about it.

I agree with Jeremy's price assessment. I'd probably even offer $1000.

My wife's convertible cost $3000 6-years ago with much lower mileage than that and it's the most expensive of the W's.

3.4 may have a reputation, but other than a leaky distributor plug O-ring and needing intake manifold gaskets, I haven't had to do anything else to mine at all after 6-years. The car is driven daily. Of course, just saying that, I've probably jinxed it and it'll grenade itself later today.

3.4 may have a reputation, but other than a leaky distributor plug O-ring and needing intake manifold gaskets, I haven't had to do anything else to mine at all after 6-years. The car is driven daily. Of course, just saying that, I've probably jinxed it and it'll grenade itself later today.

I did that once to my Z34. One day a buddy of mine asked how the car was doing. I just had to say everything was great and working perfectly. next day starter went out. LOL

Intake gaskets on it are a piece of piss. I could probably do it in a few hours. Tbelt isn't too hard with the marks, but I haven't done it with the proper tools yet.

It's not really that much harder, just different (aside from the Alt). pain to get to, but shouldn't be too hard, I just couldn't break a bolt loose when I went to do it, and I couldn't afford to wrestle with it anymore

Oh yeah, I forgot I had to do the alt too. What takes 10-minutes total on the old 2.8/3.1 cost me half an afternoon and evening with the 3.4!

I also had to change the power steering pressure line once which for some reason is a common problem on the 3.4s, but can last over 200k and nearly 20yrs on the old 2.8/3.1.

OK guys, I have found ALL of your comments highly useful, Thanks!

I have further info on the GTP.

The current mileage is 153,000 and the timing belt and alterator were both replaced around the 127-130,000 mile mark.

So these items should be good to go, for a while at least, right?

And like I said before, the only item needing fixed/ replaced, is the heater core.

How much of a PITA is this with the 3.4?

Thanks again guys, you all are my fountain of knowledge on these cars, and I appreciate everything you have to offer.

I wish I could actually go look at it, but with me and the car both in Iowa, and with all the snow we have seen lately, the GTP is blocked it by snow, on a farm, and isn't easily accessable.

The owner did tell me though, that she went out there yesterday and turn the key and it started right up, after sitting for months....a good sign maybe?

Leon

Hey there are plenty of 3.4 cars on ebay right now.

I would take a look at those...some were in real nice shape.

Ya, I know, I've been watching some of them.

I still have to get out and see this one in person, because I think its probably a pretty well maintain/ non-abused GTP, even if the miles are on the high side.

Leon