General battery question

Big_Ed

Not W-body specific, but I remember about 15-20 years ago they used to sell car batteries that had a small spare battery built in. If you left your lights on or tried to start your car only to find your battery was dead, you just popped the hood and flipped a switch on the top of the battery, activating the built-in back up battery, allowing you to start your car. Then you'd flip the switch back to the way it was, and go on with your life. It seems like a great idea. Never have to beg for a jump start from anyone. I haven't seen one in many years. What ever happened to those batteries? Anyone know why they stopped selling them?

How big were they? Maybe they won't fit where they have in todays cars. Not to mention most newer cars have the battery underneath something or in the trunk or some god awful place that is hard to get at without removing something.

Not to mention most newer cars have the battery underneath something or in the trunk or some god awful place that is hard to get at without removing something.

even then they could remote mount the switch somewhere convienent.

i have not heard of this either but sounds like a great idea!

How big were they? Maybe they won't fit where they have in todays cars. Not to mention most newer cars have the battery underneath something or in the trunk or some god awful place that is hard to get at without removing something.

They seemed to be the same size as the battery it was designed to replace. I realize this might mean the main battery would have a little less capacity, but still a good idea in my opinion. I can't remember who manufactured them, maybe Energizer or Champion?

Jump starters are cheap these days. You can buy a a 300amp jump starter for right around $20 when they're on sale. They're usualy only $30ish when they're not on sale. I have a cheap 300amp one from Black & Decker(made by Vector) that I keep in my car.

I have one too, but having a spare battery built right in just seems ideal. Just flip a switch, start the car, flip the switch back. Simple. No worrying if your jump starter is charged, no using it and forgetting to put it back in the trunk, no cables, no sparks, quicker, simpler for those who are not mechanically inclined. I'm guessing there had to be a good reason to phase them out, but what is that reason? Maybe they were too expensive? I'd happily pay a good amount extra for one.

It's an interesting concept for sure. I found an article from 1990 mentioning them.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3092/is_n2_v29/ai_8530099

and an article from 2004 that refers to an updated version of the same thing.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3864/is_200409/ai_n9455852

EDIT: I haven't been able to locate anything stating why these were phased out. I'm kinda curious now...

the only thing i can think of is that they phased out because of the fact that a low battery will kill an alternator quick time

makes sense.

also many new cars automatically turn off the lights to save the battery, kind of defeating the purpose.

God I remember those things. We had one in our Chevy van. When we actually needed it, it didn't work. It had a HUGE orange switch on top, and said "SWITCH" on the side. May have been the brand or something. I want to say it was an Eveready. Could be wrong.