Factory HU -- SCV ?

88red4cyl

I'm talking about the Speed Controlled Volume on the factory cd player head units.. On the volume knob, there are four positions, and one of them is labeled SCV. It seems like there is no difference no matter where I turn the knob.. What exactly does the SCV do, and I am supposed to be able to tell a difference in the positions of the volume knob? While I'm at it, there is what appears to be a light just to the right of the volume knob, but it doesn't do anything.. What is it?

So which mark is the most sensitive setting? I have tried all of them, but I can't really tell the radio is getting louder as I drive.. How does it know when to get louder?

There is a wire that is tapped into the speed sensor (Or the speedometer, i cant remember which one) Basically the faster your front wheels spin, the louder the radio gets.

I think all the way to the right is more sensitive meaning it will change volume more... best way to tell is get up to highway speed and turn it all the way one way or the other, then when you slow down you will notice the decline in sound a lot more than the incline as you accelerate. IMO the SCV isn't calibrated very well from what I remember about my factory radio, but it is a nice feature.

So which mark is the most sensitive setting? I have tried all of them, but I can't really tell the radio is getting louder as I drive.. How does it know when to get louder?

There is a wire that is tapped into the speed sensor (Or the speedometer, i cant remember which one) Basically the faster your front wheels spin, the louder the radio gets.

My car didn't come with this HU from the factory, but the SCV was a feature on the upgraded HU.. The car should still be wired for the SCV to work though, shouldn't it?

My car didn't come with this HU from the factory, but the SCV was a feature on the upgraded HU.. The car should still be wired for the SCV to work though, shouldn't it?

No. Earlier cars won't have the wire that goes to the VSS (vehicle speed sensor).

No. Earlier cars won't have the wire that goes to the VSS (vehicle speed sensor).

Both cars owner's manuals show the HU with SCV on it.. I was just wondering if I would have the wire or not since it didn't come with the SCV HU from the factory..

I haven't read this thread so bear with me:

I have the SCV on my truck. Its turned to the highest setting, I've had it there for so long I don't notice is going up anymore. My friends have before, and I think Chris has also.

All it does is turn the volume up with speed. I don't think there is a way for it to recognize changes in wind noise, road noise, etc. My guess is its wired to the VSS through the data port or something along those lines.

The only first gens to get this would be later MC's and Lumina's, IIRC.

It works, no worries.. I just had it on the wrong setting.. I turned it up to the line instead of the open circle and I can definetely tell the difference.

Thanks everybody,

Will