White guck under oil cap (3100)

ihateallmustangs

Ok when I first started driving my gp i notcied a bit of white guk under the cap. The oil still looked clean from the dipstick. The car never gets hot (only a tick or so past the coolest temp being 40) It uses NO coolant at all and was still at the same level when I got it. The bottom of the pcv has the white on it too. Now the actual tube and elbow looked to have both been broken and taped up with electrical tape. Bolth elbows are now rubber hoses kind of bent a bit to accomidate the angle.

So the car now has brand new intake gaskets which i did sunday, and even when I did them the front valve cover only had white right near the fill neck and at the pcv and nowhere else in the engine at all. So the car really didn;t need them replaced but I did them anyway.

-Car uses NO coolant at all

-Car never gets hot (it's pretty cold out and its all highway driven) the temp gauge only moves slightly from the cooldest point even when driven for over an hour.

-The white film tastes like nothing really

I did one oil change when I got it , oil was black not milky or anything

-Did another oil change last week before I decided to do the intake gaskets , that oil too looked good I also added engine flush to this oil change right before I drained it.

Did the intake gaskets 2 days later car was only driven a total of 8kms+50kms to drive down to the place I did the gaskets. I replaced the gaskets.shyponed the coolant ,added new dex-cool ,drove the car home on the oil from the other day. Changed it the next morning (still looked good), again poured engine flush in before the oil change.

Now 2 days and about 300kms of driving -no coolant loss , oil looks like gold ,car still never gets hot. But I still seem to get the white film on the cap/pcv. No white film or guck on the inside of the heads or valves or on the dipstick.

I used cheapo oil the last two times just for flushing the engine out. I have no idea what causes this any ideas?

Most likely just water evaporating. Sucked in through your intake, not burned off during combustion, etc...

Nothing too worry about, in fact, this topic has been brought up several times.

Moisture+ short trips in winter time = white gunk under oil cap

Most likely just water evaporating. Sucked in through your intake, not burned off during combustion, etc...

Nothing too worry about, in fact, this topic has been brought up several times.

Heh.. I brought it up about a month ago in fact.. Except my gunk is yellow.

Sounds like you may need a new thermostat. Or if it's good, then let the car warm up properly before you take off at highway speeds. If the oil doesn't reach proper temp, like 180 degrees I think, and the engine isn't running for at least 30 minutes after the temp has been reached, the moisture will not boil off. And that water will stay in the oil, circulating throughout your charished engine.

A few bucks spent on a new thermostat, or a few minutes spent warming the car is much less than replacing the engine.

you tasted it?

yea another form of diagnosing what it is. If it tastes sweet..then it's coolant and you have a problem, and if it tastes bitter it's something else. I can't remember exactly.

you tasted it?

yea another form of diagnosing what it is. If it tastes sweet..then it's coolant and you have a problem, and if it tastes bitter it's something else. I can't remember exactly.

:leaving:mmmmmmmmm I think ill take your wod for it! :mrgreen:

There's all kinds of poisonous chemicals in the food we eat and air we breath. Even the seats and plastics in new cars give off toxic fumes. That's what the "new car smell" is from. Tasting a little bit of oil won't do anymore harm besides tasting nasty.

There's all kinds of poisonous chemicals in the food we eat and air we breath. Even the seats and plastics in new cars give off toxic fumes. That's what the "new car smell" is from. Tasting a little bit of oil won't do anymore harm besides tasting nasty.

The new car smell is my favorite smell ever. It was heaven when I worked at a Ford dealer this summer and got to drive the brand new cars with about 7 miles on them. :lol:

Growing up on a farm, I was taught to taste every mystery fluid leak or inhale mystery smoke vapors.. that'd always tell ya what the problem was. Probably why I'm so stupid today.

Well if you don't see any coolant contaminating the oil, or any oil contaminating the coolant then I'd say you're fine.. Do you get the gunk on the oil cap or just on the overflow? I don't get any on the overflow, just the cap..

just the overflow, not the oil cap..i don't think its a big deal, he car runs cool and doesn't over heat, guess ill jst have to deal till i do a flush, and then see what it does.