No More GP Coupes in 2004!

DOHCRagtopguy

I just saw July's Automotive Engineering and the new Grand Prix. It's a four-door and they say no more coupes will be made.

Bummer, I always thought the coupes were pretty sharp!

I just saw July's Automotive Engineering and the new Grand Prix. It's a four-door and they say no more coupes will be made.

Bummer, I always thought the coupes were pretty sharp!

you just found that out that they won't be making anymore GP coupes? hmm...yeah, the new GTO is supposed to replace that market.

Actually...the GTO isn't replacing the coupes. If you'll notice, the GTO's price range is a bit higher than a GP Coupe's was :wink: The GTO's price is more within the range of an F-Body car like the Firebird. :wink: The GP Coupe was axed because of poor sales. I'm not sure if it really has a "replacement" on the market. The GXP would certainly make up for it though if it ever makes it to production. And I can see why the coupe was dropped. Everywhere I look I see 97+ 4dr. SEs and GTPs. The only thing that doesn't explain is why they axed the SE. :shock:

Everywhere I look I see 97+ 4dr. SEs and GTPs. The only thing that doesn't explain is why they axed the SE.

The reason you only see 4 door SE's is because SE's were only available as 4 doors. The SE's were basically replaced by the GT1, it just costs a little more money.

Actually...the GTO isn't replacing the coupes. If you'll notice, the GTO's price range is a bit higher than a GP Coupe's was :wink: The GTO's price is more within the range of an F-Body car like the Firebird. :wink: The GP Coupe was axed because of poor sales. I'm not sure if it really has a "replacement" on the market. The GXP would certainly make up for it though if it ever makes it to production. And I can see why the coupe was dropped. Everywhere I look I see 97+ 4dr. SEs and GTPs. The only thing that doesn't explain is why they axed the SE. :shock:

ACTUALLY, i read in an article, that the GTO is supposed to fill the void of the missing GP coupe. granted it is not the same platform and price range, but it's focus is to fill that missing space of the GP coupe while adding a little more 'umph'

Sorry guys. I didn't know that they were discontinued in 2002.

That's what happens when you get old, brain farts set in more often!

ACTUALLY, i read in an article, that the GTO is supposed to fill the void of the missing GP coupe. granted it is not the same platform and price range, but it's focus is to fill that missing space of the GP coupe while adding a little more 'umph'

Hate to break it to ya, but the article was mis-informed :wink: Cost is what killed the coupe. :roll: When it comes down to it, it cost too much to make a major redesign for both coupe and sedan when the coupe was not selling well anyway. It's the same reason the F-Body was axed. :cry:

If ANY car is going to be dubbed as it's "replacement", it will be the new slightly larger Grand AM coupe. :shock: That thing is even gonna get an AWD system. :o

i'm guessing the Monte will fill the 2-door void.. no need to have a bunch of the same car with different logos on each one. i think it was a good move by GM. it would have been much better had GM actually put a 260hp engine in the SS and not the 240hp leftover from the GTP.

i didnt know there was no 2003 2 door. thats gay as hell. i already knew about there bein no 04 2 door. that right there already pissed me off. i would never even consider buying a gp unless it was a 2 door

damn I'm late I didn't realize there were no 2 dorrs GPs in 03. I knew 04 axed the 2 doors. I think GM is making a mistake by axing F-Bodies(even tho I hate them), 2 door GPs, Luminas(back in 01) just to bring back one car. A car that is even not a real pontiac, they are actually importing GTOs from Austraila. Don't believe me check out http://www.hsv.com.au and do some research.

2 Door vs 4 door? Hmmm reminds me of the early nineties! Back in the early 90's you could

get the Grand Prix LE with either 2 doors or 4, but because of lack of sells, GM dropped the

2 door LE option. (Of course the SE came with 2 doors.)

2 door LE's are uncommon. My 90 GP LE is a 2 door coupe. I own 3 cars, and 2 of them are coupes,

1 is a sedan. Now that I am 30 years old (an old fart compared to most of you), I kind of wish

2 of the 3 were sedans.

And yes, the sedan was the most recent purchase of the three!

I had a 4dr car when I was 16, and I actually prefer 4drs, just not gen 1 W-body 4drs! The appearance and roofline of the gen 1 W-body sedans is just not as sleek and sporty as the W-body coupes.

Now a 97-02 GP, I would be perfectly happy with a 4dr because the 4drs IMO look just as sporty as the coupes.

2 Door vs 4 door? Hmmm reminds me of the early nineties! Back in 88 through 91 you could

get the Grand Prix LE with either 2 doors or 4, but because of lack of sells, GM dropped the

2 door LE option. (Of course the SE came with 2 doors.)

The 4dr Grand Prix didn't debut until 1990 model year...according to the info on the W-body model page. The 2dr LE was dropped in 1991. Personally, I own 2 LEs (1 that I smashed :cry:) And I love them. I drive one everyday and it's never let me down. I agree with shawn though, IMO Gen I sedans aren't very sporty looking. The only one I would consider owning is a 90 TSTE :D