How bad is the cold for batteries?

5speedz34

Right now, w/the windchill its like -20* F. How bad is this on a battery that has been sitting in a car outside over night? I started the battery in my truck and it took a few cranks to start. I also have a 78 series in there w/800 cca, which is bigger than stock. I would venture a guess to say that if I went back out there it wouldn't have any problems.

Will I see shorter battery life in a car that sits outside compared to a car that sits indoors?

IMO, if the weather was like this all time in the winter, ie-Canuckistan then I would get an engine block heater, but this only happens a few times a year.

I don't think it's much worse than running it dead :dunno: Mine definitely took more slower cranking tonight, sitting out side in the windy 10* air, but once started seemed to be just fine. I can't say long term though

I'm just saying if you have a car that stays in a garage compared to one that goes outside; the one in the garage should last longer under the same conditions right?

Just F.Y.I. wind chill doesn't mean shit if its applied to something that isn't producing heat, and actually it is really only applicable to humans. Your battery is only experiencing the actual temp outside, not the wind chill. It shouldnt even be experiencing any wind anyway, as long as its in your car.

The cold will limit the voltage of a battery, but isn't storing a battery at a cold temperature supposed to make them last longer?

Guest GrandPrixlover1

Right now, w/the windchill its like -20* F. How bad is this on a battery that has been sitting in a car outside over night? I started the battery in my truck and it took a few cranks to start. I also have a 78 series in there w/800 cca, which is bigger than stock. I would venture a guess to say that if I went back out there it wouldn't have any problems.

Will I see shorter battery life in a car that sits outside compared to a car that sits indoors?

IMO, if the weather was like this all time in the winter, ie-Canuckistan then I would get an engine block heater, but this only happens a few times a year.

Here's a link from a website I found about that, it seems to be pretty logical, I would check it out, here is the link:

http://www.getsmarter.org/mstv/R2_b.cfm

As long as the battery remains charged, then there shouldn't be a problem. Its when you run a battery low in the cold that you will experience more issues. Frozen cells happen easily when a battery is weak in the cold.

The original battery in my Lumina lasted over 12 years FWIW.

Average life expectancy depends, but in my family we replace them every 5-7 years - I'd rather spend $50 o na new battery then fuck around with an old shitty one hen it's cold outside

• 2 weeks later...

One of the first things I learned in Electrical Engineering is that past a point, cold batteries don't produce electricity. One company tried to do a bunch of electric parking meters in NY, and they just stopped working from the cold. I'm not sure about whether or not the slowed reaction is good for keeping a battery stable, but cranking/ pulling power from a cold battery will hurt it.

Just F.Y.I. wind chill doesn't mean shit if its applied to something that isn't producing heat, and actually it is really only applicable to humans.

Precisely. We produce heat, so the wind chill effects us. It's the temperature it feels like on our skin due to the wind blowing away the heat our body is producing. This means nothing to objects not producing their own heat, or with sufficient insulation (hair/fur).

One of the first things I learned in Electrical Engineering is that past a point, cold batteries don't produce electricity.

This is why it's also often difficult to jump a car in extreme cold if the battery is completely drained. The battery doesn't take the charge well, if at all.

That being said, if the battery doesn't have any issues to begin with, and is properly rated for the car as far as cranking amps, it generally shouldn't be a problem. I've never had a problem starting any of my regularly used cars (weather related, anyway) regardless of temp, and I've lived in apartments my whole life. Same goes for family members. Jumping a battery I let drain in below zero temps, however, is a different story.

In my experience, age is one of the largest determining factors on a battery versus cold. In my 1998 Cavalier, I had the original battery in the car up to when it was traded in 2005. At -30F, the car still continued to turn over, but not as snappy as new battery.

Here's something fun to try. As I said, I live in northern New York which has some of the weirdest weather in north america... we can go 80 degrees either way during the winter. A friend of mine had once told me that putting a light bulb on your engine, on of course (duh), put out enough heat to keep the engine warm enough to start easy. Two lightbulbs would make it turn over like it was a summer day. In mythbuster style, i figured I'd try it on my Cavalier. I placed two 100-watt lightbulbs in the engine bay. One was resting on the rocker cover, the other was wedged in on top of the starter drive. And I went to bed. Overnight temperatures were hovering around -11F with a wind chill tickling -25F (which means nothing for cars, just thought I'd throw that in for detail). Anyways, 11 hours later, I went out to start the car and noticed that there was no frost on the hood. Hmmm. So I get in the car and kick the key over... the engine fired over like it was a 75 degree day. Just thought this group could appreciate that.