New mods for the week

LukeZ34

A friend of mine had an idea to make his own strut tower brace for his 99 Grand Prix GT from some 3/4" aluminum tubing he picked up at the local Ace Hardware. Turns out the bar was simple to make, and it turned out really sharp, and seemed to tighten up the steering in his all stock car. So I went and picked up a bar and made one for the TGP. Only problems I ran in to is the bar hits the outer connector for the wipers. I was able to sand down the connector some, but it still rubs some, nothing to be alarmed about though. It helped a little with the stiffness of the steering in the car. I hope to add a rear one sometime in the near future. This is how it turned out:

http://lukez34.com/theride/tgp/images/strutbrace/P1010031.JPG

I also recieved and installed the SWI-X steering wheel control interface. For those that don't know what that is, it allows my factory steering wheel radio controls to work with an aftermarket stereo reciever. Took me about 2 hours to install, and it works great. I mounted the IR transmitter under the panel that holds the wiper controls (i'll get a picture sometime). You wouldn't see it if you didn't know it was there, and it was sure worth the $54 since I lost the remote to my reciever long ago (back in lumina time :D )

I haven't noticed any unusual noises while driving around. I'm not too worried about losing a dogbone. I know it can happen (and probably to a 5 speed car moreso an auto) but that's something i'll deal with if and when it occurs. Not like I spent a fortune on this little project ($8 and about an hour to make it)

I'm not sure how much it helped, but the car seems more stable going in to turns.

I don't think it needs to be super strong as steel is for a GP. I don't corner hard on a daily basis. Infact, the only time I have cornered hard was when I took the car out after installing it. Cornered so hard that I almost lost the rear end around one. But if I ever bend the thing, then that's a sign to slow my ass down! :lol:

I don't think it needs to be super strong as steel is for a GP. I don't corner hard on a daily basis. Infact, the only time I have cornered hard was when I took the car out after installing it. Cornered so hard that I almost lost the rear end around one. But if I ever bend the thing, then that's a sign to slow my ass down! :lol:

that's one outstanding perspective right there...however...why slow down? i hard corner my car all the time....hence my sig.

...why slow down? i hard corner my car all the time....

Because that will deterioate your veichle, and reduce the life of your car. If your car is a POS, than drive it that way. If its decent, dont encourage it too become a POS.....

yeah so drive your porsche 40MPH on the freeway too! Hell no lol no offense but if u have a decent car that can handle it -DO IT. Live it up and have fun then worry about the cash and the sooner parts changing later on! -my motto