Gas mileage tips?

Big_Ed

I have a 94 Cutlass Supreme 4 door and a 96 Cutlass Supreme 2 door. Both have 3100 v6, auto trans, and are completely stock and in good running order. I drive the 94 during the winter cause it's already rusty, and it gets about 18 MPG. The 96 gets between 22 and 30 depending on how much driving is done on the highway. My drive to work is about 8 miles, and is maybe half highway, half city. I realize that in the winter mileage generally drops, due to letting the car warm up for a few minutes in the morning, and the engine not reaching full operating temperature as soon as in the warmer weather. However, I'd like to get into the low 20's MPG if possible.

What tips or mods do you have that I could use to improve my mileage? I'm not really concerned with increasing the power, but if it did go up, that's a bonus.

Thanks!

yes, and its also illegal last i knew, and very unsafe.

tune-ups and good tire pressure are the biggest things IMO.

also, if you are in a very cold area like northern Canada, you could try the ole cardboard in front of the radiator trick to let the engine get warmer while driving.

What they all said, and keep your foot out of the throttle. Everyone talks about gas mileage and gas is expensive, yet I see SO MANY people basically flooring it everywhere, trying to get that last 2 or 3 feet of acceleration, only to come to the same red light I'm slowly coasting to.

werd. I'm with Robby. That happens all the damn time, especially with all the dumbfucks up here on campus. Riding my ass because I won't speed up to stop at the next red light

Avoid taking any passengers you don't have to! :eek:

I have a 92 CS with the 3.4L DOHC engine and the city gas mileage figure for it is 15mpg. I get about 15.5-17.5 but on weeks when I am driving other people around, carpooling and stuff like that, I consistently get 14. Carpooling may save the environment but it sure as hell doesn't save the driver money...

Does people really get that low of mileage? My 91 is the third 1st gen W body, 88 coupe, 91 sedan and 91 convertible. The lowest gas mileage I have gotten is 22 city. Highest I have gotten is 35 highway. The 3.1 liter seems to get better than the 2.8 that was in my 88. Both of the 91's seem to be pretty close despite the one being a vert.

My Lumina used to yield me 23-24mpg city and 31-33mpg highway..it's brutal right now due to my driveability issues.

But last fall ('06) I tuned it up and got 150km more per city, and I got over 700km on the highway in one tank...and soon after something started to die and my mileage got worse and worse...now I only get 17-18mpg city.

In the really cold weather we've been having lately, I have been getting about 26MPG with my SE. I got 25 MPG on one tank about a month back with two 0-105ish runs on it. When I first got the car and it wasnt insanely cold out last november, I was getting 34 MPG with it.

I get on average 22-24 on my 3.4 Dohc driving to town and back. Highway I usually manage 30ish and the worst I ever did was abou 17 driving the hell out of it.

Ugh, I hope I pull somewhere around here w/the GP.