I have this idea...

93Luminanewb

I saw this thing in a JCW catalog. It was like a valve type of thing for the exhaust. It was to switch between a straight pipe and normal exhaust from inside the cabin. I was thinking of putting it right in the middle of the passenger side part of the pipe, and then having pretty much a straight pipe (except for the cat part) that exits in front of the wheel. Any ideas if this would be legal? I mean it would only be for running at the track... and stuff, and I have the ability to switch it back to normal. Any input? Thanks :)

It's legal in Non-Emission states for sure.

It's semi-legal in Emission states if it's after the Cat.

However, it's not really suggested on our vehicle because straigh-pipin' will hurt performance; no joke.

In acutality, you need a slight amount of back-pressure to get the most "umf" out of your engine.

Plus, it's really, really loud! I wouldn't bother with it.

- Erik

Does PA do emissions testing? If they do, and happen to get up under your car, it'll probably fail the visual check.

If they don't, it's all gravy. Just watch for the police, and close it when they are near :D

My area in PA doesn't do emissions testing, but they do have visual checks to see if you have a cat and a muffler, and I would be putting it after the cat when the pipe is nearest to the passenger side rear wheel. I thought that would be a good amount of backpressure, but not too much. Oh, and the loudness wouldn't bother me, I'm only 17 :D

yeah my car ran like shit when the muffler fell off, i would suggest not doing it for the track, maybe its a good idea to get it to sound sweet, but if you want power leave the full exhaust on

You will gain HP but you'll lose of the line TRQ, that's probably why you gained a couple tenths in the 1/8 or maybe you just got a better launch with less torque(less wheel spin) ?

I'm aware of the backpressure and torque situation, but I have a stock cat and I'd be making the cut near the rear tire. I thought that would be an ample amount of backpressure since the pipe does get smaller and I still have the stock cat :?

You will gain HP but you'll lose of the line TRQ, that's probably why you gained a couple tenths in the 1/8 or maybe you just got a better launch with less torque(less wheel spin) ?

That's probably true so yea either way you go some backpressure is ok just depending on what you want your motor to do.

It's legal in Non-Emission states for sure.

It's semi-legal in Emission states if it's after the Cat.

However, it's not really suggested on our vehicle because straigh-pipin' will hurt performance; no joke.

In acutality, you need a slight amount of back-pressure to get the most "umf" out of your engine.

Plus, it's really, really loud! I wouldn't bother with it.

- Erik

there are loop-holes to dumpouts. if it is on a naturally aspirated motor, you may loose performance due to lack of back pressure... but on a turbo car, you will gain A LOT of performance from it....

As for legality, there are a few things you can do... you can apply for emissions exemption, but you have to pay a yearly fee. a lot of the old classic cars have to do that, you can put it on right after you get your smot test done, (colorados are good for 2 years) but if you have natural aspiration, then i wouldnt bother wasting your money, unless you want less performance and an annoying sounding car.

Or, you can take your chances, put it on, then when you have to do a smog test, just hope that they dont see it... i have never as much as even seen them try and look under my car. and even if they do see it, just try and explain to then that it is for when you are at the track ONLY. my buddy did that in his typhoon that has an electronic opening dumpout, and got away with it.

- Justin