Strut noises?

Heza

can someone explain this to me? whenever i drive my car and hit a little bump, or something that is just a little jolt, my rear end makes a light clunking noise. however, when hitting bigger bumps, it doesn't make that same noise. could this be strut failure or strut mounts going bad? any opinions would be swell. i can't see any problems and am lost! HEEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP!

Eh, my car makes noises over bumps, and has for the past 3 years. These cars are old, they are supposed to creak and pop and do other stuff. I wouldnt worry until your leaf spring breaks in half or strut breaks, then I would replace it. You could replace it now and the noise still be there b/c thats just the way it is. JMO

Robby

thanks for the advice everyone. appreciate it. guess i'll just wait for my tax return (just filed it a couple weeks ago cause i was deployed) and hook myself up with more suspension goodies.

the EXACT same thing is happening to me. I have been told it is the strut mounts, but it is always best to replace the struts as well. So that's my advice

Heza, I saw you made a comment on ClubGP about the Addco bar. If you have the bar installed, that could possibly be what's doing the clunking. I know others have had clunking issues with it as well. There are a lot of things on these cars that can sound like struts going bad. :roll: The mounts could possibly be bad...or the leaf spring bushings...or even the swaybar bushings. But I'd check the addco bar first...if you have it :wink:

Heza, I saw you made a comment on ClubGP about the Addco bar. If you have the bar installed, that could possibly be what's doing the clunking. I know others have had clunking issues with it as well. There are a lot of things on these cars that can sound like struts going bad. :roll: The mounts could possibly be bad...or the leaf spring bushings...or even the swaybar bushings. But I'd check the addco bar first...if you have it :wink:

i do have the ADDCO bar and it did clunk for a while when i first installed it. however, i called the company up and told them i could use some spacers for where it mounts to the front of the strut. they sent them and ended clunking until i made a 800 mile drive to my parents. then it started making noise again, but it was just because one of the hanging brackets had come loose a little bit. tightened it up, and it was gone again. however, it still makes a slight noise when hitting little bumps. i've looked underneath and the ADDCO bar is not coming in contact with anything whatsoever. thus, narrowing it down to struts/strut mounts. oh....leaf spring bushings are in great shape.

can someone explain this to me? whenever i drive my car and hit a little bump, or something that is just a little jolt, my rear end makes a light clunking noise. however, when hitting bigger bumps, it doesn't make that same noise. could this be strut failure or strut mounts going bad? any opinions would be swell. i can't see any problems and am lost! HEEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP!

It's the strut mounts up on top. There's a TSB regarding this "problem".

If I come across my old invoice, I'll post the part numbers.

It's the strut mounts up on top. There's a TSB regarding this "problem".

If I come across my old invoice, I'll post the part numbers.

thanks paulo57509....however, what is TSB?

oooh gravy. thanks. is there somewhere i can read this Technical Service Bulletin?

i'm probably just gonna order new strut mounts when i order my new struts.