How to install 6x9's in GP?

AWeb80

I'm getting 6x9's soon and i need to know the easiest way to install them. Do i take the rear seat out or can i get to them from the trunk. In the trunk it looks like there is too much metal and support stuff in the way. Please help. I'll probaly do this this weekend. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I havn't decided on what brand i want. I know i'll get 3 ways. Please tell me what brands you guys think are the best.

yah rear seat isn't all that hard, it's only like 4-6 bolts, I've gotten it down to like less than 10 min to take out the rear seat, it's not hard! JUST ANNOYING!!!!!!

i know how to take out the bottom of the back seat, but how do i get the backrest out. Where are the bolts for that?

I've tried to get to them from the top of the rear deck from the inside of the car, but the rear window is in the way.

I'm guessing taking them out from underneath in the trunk won't work either?

Please explain more.

Guest Anonymous

After you take the bottom part of the seat out you'll see the bolts for the upper part. They are below the upper part. Take them out and lift up and out on the seat.

After i get the upper and lower parts of the seats out, how do I get the speakers out. Are there any bolts or screws that need to be taken out. And are the new speakers going to bolt right back in or something like that? Is it self-explanatory once I get the seats out and can see what I'm doing?

Hey Redturbo90, Nice avatar. Me likey. 8) Eventhough I have a honda. I bought it for gas mileage and because I love my GP.

WTF, I never removed my rear seat to do the rear speakers. I did when I cut the rear deck frame and mounted them direct to that with a box under them....but for the stock location you can pull them out the top.

Not all W-bodys are the same, on my cutlass all I had to do was pop the grilles and take out the screws, but on some W-Bodys the rear deck lid covers some of them.

with the right tools, you dont have to take anything out... although thats just on my GP sedan. as for speakers, you looking for sound, OEM look, or doesnt matter as long as it works???

I would sugest infinity 2 or 3 ways if you want to retain the OEM look. Another idea that would give you cleaner sound and much more clear, crisp highs and less distorted mids is to get a good set of component speakers with the seperate tweaters. The Coaxial speakers (2-3 way) are easier to deal with but i promise you that if you go with components, you will have a much, louder, cleaner, crisper sound. simply install your 6x9s in the normal way, then you would run your tweaters in parallel ( + from deck to + of speaker, then to + of tweater - same applys for - ). mount your tweater firing forward and slightly to the center of the car... basicly right at your center rearview mirror. tuck the tweaters right where your pillar in the rear meets the rear deck. if you really wanna go all out... you can do the fronts this way as well, although if you kinda want to retain your OEM look, a good suggestion is to mount smaller tweaters on the back of the rear veiw, firing forward and slightly to the sides, onto your windshield. then simply take the mirror off, use a medium of your choice and create a bezel for the tweats and paint it black. i have seen peopel make these out of clay, i personally use fiberglass. but that way, it is almost impossible to see from the outside unless you are looking for it, and you cant see it from the inside either, and it sounds bad ass... Simply run your wires into the headliner and down the A-Pillar and into your dash where your speakers are.

so a good set of 6x9s with component tweaters mounted in the rear, and a good set of 4x6 front components with those tweaters mounted on the mirror and you have yourself a SICK AS FUCK sounding system for not that much money... at the most your probly looking at $300 for front and rear. you can find them ALOT cheaper though.

*EDIT* If you want to take it one step farther, you can go into your trunk and add a rear baffel, simply by cutting a peice of 1/2 inch MDF (basicly glued paper that had wood charectoristics) (you can get it at home depot or any wood place) and make a sort of shelf that sits just below the speakers and trunk lid hardware... eventhough it is still a free air system, this baffel will sound hella good, then create a face plate for it to mount against the back of the trunk lid opening... then cover it all in carpet (find at a craft shop or sterio shop) and you have a professional lookin baffel that will really give you a lot better bass response, as an added bonus, it will hide all of that ugly spring shit for the trunk lid and speaker backs...

- Justin

P.S. I am a professional installer and have worked on vehicles from 68 Malibu SS with 2-15"s and 4-10"s to dodge vipers where the amprack in the back looks like the engine under the hood, to nearly half of the Denver Broncos vehicles, including Detron Smith, Harold Hassleback and his 2000 excurssion with 2 Xtant 10"s A-Series, and Xtant 1005 4channel + 1000Watt monoblock, in a custom leather wrapped box and subs set in black painted fiberglass. then dvd up front with custom center console for his laptop and rear TVs and a dreamcast in the arm rest. JVC Camelion deck and MBQuart Components with custom door panels all around. I was in all the Denver papers for the work i didn in that truck.

Not all W-bodys are the same, on my cutlass all I had to do was pop the grilles and take out the screws, but on some W-Bodys the rear deck lid covers some of them.

or, like my Lumina and my bros GP, open the tool-free bracket holding the speakers on :lol:

i know how to take out the bottom of the back seat, but how do i get the backrest out. Where are the bolts for that?

I've tried to get to them from the top of the rear deck from the inside of the car, but the rear window is in the way.

I'm guessing taking them out from underneath in the trunk won't work either?

Please explain more.

Use, i think it is, an 8mm socket, with a flex fit 3 inch extentions and then an elbo for it... thats the only way i could get mine out... well, the easiest anyway, i suppose that there are other ways...

- Justin

You have to take off the rear deck too cause it covers a couple screws, thats why the seat has to come out.

What is the best way to get the rear deck off. Does it come right off with the whole back seat out, or are there bolts somewhere? I just want to know this before tearing stuff apart.

in order to take the rear deck off, you need to reove those 2 plastic panels covering the pillar off. they have those little map reading lights for the rearseat passengers in the 2dr on them. those push against the deck and make it so you cant pull it forward. they are held in by 2 of those plastic one way clips that i HATE so much. of course i guess u could just bend it upwards and pull forward but thatll prolly put a crease in it and who wants that?

in order to take the rear deck off, you need to reove those 2 plastic panels covering the pillar off. they have those little map reading lights for the rearseat passengers in the 2dr on them. those push against the deck and make it so you cant pull it forward. they are held in by 2 of those plastic one way clips that i HATE so much. of course i guess u could just bend it upwards and pull forward but thatll prolly put a crease in it and who wants that?

Fuck, how do i get the lights off of the pillar cover?

u dont have to remove the lights...they stay in place, you just remove the panel. then once its free u unplug the connector from hbehind the light so the panel doesnt dangle there

I just replaced my stock Regal 6x9 speakers with a woppin' $10 set from an olds delta 88 (bigger magnets-deeper cones-matching connector plugs).

Anyway, I just had to lay down in my trunk and remove 4- 5.5mm screws per speaker. They might have popped out the top with the grill but I never checked.

I got the c-pillar covers off, but the rear deck seems like it is caught on something. or wedged inbetween the c-pillars. How do i get it out of the way?

theres also 2 of those one way clips holding the deck on. if ur backseat is out they should be visible. to avoid hassle you can even go into the trunk with a hammer or other hitting device and bang them out thru. there that actually works really good than tugging on them from the front

i have no idea at the moment. if u can wait till tomorrow ill give mine a quick rip apart and see what it could be. do you have keyless entry? maybe its getting caught on the black box in the back left corner

box.jpg

Ok, got the rear deck off. It was stuck to a 6 inch strip of glue along the back window. Probably from factory.

Glad you finally got the rear deck out. :D I guess one of my ideas was correct! 8)

Got'em put in, and damn they sound gooooood. I got Pioneer 4 ways. I got 4 ways because i've got sooo much bass right now I needed the mids and highs to equal out.

A BIG THANK YOU to everybody that helped me.

Now, it's time to find some component 5.25's for the front...........

So far this is what my system consists (kinda a mix of brands, stuff i picked up cheaper than buying at a store.)

Head unit: Sony Xplod MP-70 (da shit)

Sub Amp: Infinity Digital Beta 300 Class D (1000 Watts)

Subs: 2 12" Planet Audio P12's

6x9's Amp: Kenwood KAC 628

6x9's: Pioneer 4 Ways

5.25's Amp Crossfire CFA-142

Component 5.25's ????? (Any Suggestions)