Everybody should know! :)

K@m3l0t

lol he used a cresent wrench and a fram oil filter :dunce: he also had to remove the tire to gain access to the oil filter. with my mom's old 99 regal, i never removed the tire to get to the oil filter. i guess i'll go apply at jiffy lube tomorrow. :lol:

Failboat.jpg

T-t-t-t-ta-t-t-tta-ta-t-t-TODAY JUNIOR!!!!

im watching more car related videos from that web site. who needs comedy central after watching them. :willynilly:

Yes.

a socket wrench, my hand, and my drain bucket are the only tools I ever use :lol:

Yes again.

And I use these before I ever freakin jack it up...

Minilifts3.gif

Fuck ramps, they get in the way, and are the lazy way to go IMO.

When I worked at Wal-mart changing oil is super easy. The only problem I ever had, was hot cars, tough to get to filter locations (3300 and 3800 Series 1?). And of course if the last guy put it on really tight.

The best tool for getting tight filters is the "claw." It goes onto a 3/8" ratchet and grabs into the filter. Works awesome everytime.

I have a set of ramps but they are some shit steel ones that slide across the floor when you try to drive up them. Normally I just even jack the car up - just back it in to the garage and pull ahead so the front wheels are at the point where the garage and driveway meet. Gives me an extra few inchs and I can change all the oil in our cars that way. The worst filter i've ever changed is on my friend's Sunfire 2.2L engine. I still have a scar on my left hand from the fucking exhaust lol

yeah ramps are definitely FTW. You don't need to take the wheel off to change the oil on a 3800....

Haha I saw that and I was all like "I don't think so. BS." :mrgreen:

yeah ramps are definitely FTW. You don't need to take the wheel off to change the oil on a 3800....

Haha I saw that and I was all like "I don't think so. BS." :mrgreen:

I mean you CAN, but it's just a waste of time. My hand fits up in there OK, but my dad's hand fits up there a ton better so he usually does it :lol:

And my car JUST makes it up our ramps, if I end up lowering this I'm screwed.

The worst filter i've ever changed is on my friend's Sunfire 2.2L engine. I still have a scar on my left hand from the fucking exhaust lol

yeah those are a bitch. I used to be able to get mine from the top but i got fat and now my arm won't fit between the intake and firewall.

I have a set of ramps that work ok on the SE, but the TGP is wayyy too low to ever go on them. I take the TGP to the local shop and they let me use the lift to change my oil. :cool: I know the service manager there.

And I use these before I ever freakin jack it up...

Minilifts3.gif

wow thanks for posting a pic of those ramps. those could defintiely come in hand for my car and my dads vette. :cool:

Yeah those look nice. Ours are about 3/4 that size. If I had those I'd make it up without a tense moment.

my car is too low to make it on ramps.

mine too since i lowered it. thats why i put a 2ft section of 2x6 in front of the ramps to help my bumper clear. works like a charm, cuz im too lazy to use a jack. :lol:

Yeah, those are unfortunately not mine. Mine are more like this: (without middle support and black things)

549007.jpg

They are also moderately buckled from my Dad driving off of them in my Moms (then new) 2002 Chevy cavi. :lol:

meh i think one of the WORST filters to do is a 2.2 Cavalier pre 04 when they switched to canister filters up top. Its on the back of the motor and sucks when they bring em in hot.

meh i think one of the WORST filters to do is a 2.2 Cavalier pre 04 when they switched to canister filters up top. Its on the back of the motor and sucks when they bring em in hot.

2.2's suck, but they aren't bad.

The 2.2's with the filters there are completely different from the EcoTec's with the cartridge filter.

Like I said 3300's and 3800's in H-bodies, and W-bodies and A-bodies suck ass.

Removing the wheel does allow a lot of access on Series I 3800's with their limited access filter placement. I can get to them fine without removing anything so long as I jack the car up instead of using ramps. You could remove the filter from the engine bay, but you're going to have to slave the engine forward to do that since there's little room behind the engine in that area.

Removing the wheel does allow a lot of access on Series I 3800's with their limited access filter placement. I can get to them fine without removing anything so long as I jack the car up instead of using ramps. You could remove the filter from the engine bay, but you're going to have to slave the engine forward to do that since there's little room behind the engine in that area.

Ya, thats not possible at a shop w/drive on hoists.

It sucked, like I said if the filter was put on 3/4 past tight then it would be fine, but those ones where the filters had been torqued are a huge bitch!

FWIW: When I was at Wal-Mart in the summer of '06; a girl came in with a '93 cavy 2.2. I pulled the filter off and someone sharpied the date and mileage on it. 20k on an oil change and 2 years on the filter!

2.2's suck, but they aren't bad.

The 2.2's with the filters there are completely different from the EcoTec's with the cartridge filter.

Like I said 3300's and 3800's in H-bodies, and W-bodies and A-bodies suck ass.

No they don't, you turn the wheel all the way to the right and go in through the fender.

No they don't, you turn the wheel all the way to the right and go in through the fender.

On a 2.2 OHV J-body?

Nope.

Best way is from under the car.

On a 2.2 OHV J-body?

Nope.

Best way is from under the car.

:werd: