Fuel Filler Door

Seb

Hi,

The Fuel Door (Fuel Filler Door) on my 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GT is damaged. It seems like the clip that keep the door closed is broken (i dont' quite know if it's a spring or a clip). Now everytimes I drive around and i turn to the right, the fuel door opens wide open, their is nothing to keep it closed :? . Is there anybody that can help me with this?

Seb

would you be able to rig up some type of small spring to keep it held shut? like super glue one end inside and then the other end to the door? so it has enough tension to keep the door shut but it would be out of the way and weak enough to open it up to fill with gas? just a thought

cutlassdude96 Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:07 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the same problem and its been like that for over 3 years.

I know It's nothing big but I want the car to look good...

phantomFE3 Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:08 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

would you be able to rig up some type of small spring to keep it held shut? like super glue one end inside and then the other end to the door? so it has enough tension to keep the door shut but it would be out of the way and weak enough to open it up to fill with gas? just a thought

That too, I've concidered and Tried but dosen't work... I wasl also thinking to buy an other door but they are 120$cad

GM sells the spring clip separately. I don't remember the p/n, but I posted it to ClubGP maybe 3yrs ago, you could try doing a search if their search function goes back that far!

If you remind me after work hours (PM or email), I will look for the p/n again.

The filler door on my Lumina was doing this same thing. It wasn't the spring clip that was broken, but the tab on the door arm that was broken.

Instead of scrounging another door, I used a pop rivet to take the place of the tab.

Frankly, it's been a while so the actual fix is quite cloudy.

The filler door on my Lumina was doing this same thing. It wasn't the spring clip that was broken, but the tab on the door arm that was broken.

Instead of scrounging another door, I used a pop rivet to take the place of the tab.

Frankly, it's been a while so the actual fix is quite cloudy.

This has has to be another defect with the W-Body. My Lumina does the same thing. I need to see what it takes to fix it.

Maybe it's a common W-body problem, but not one I've ever seen in my decade-long experience with W-bodies. Are you guys extra rough on your filler door or something? I guess I'm extra gentle with mine, my wife has even commented on it.

Hey, what's going on...

Well I worked a bit on the car yesterday, Fixed the KEYLESS ENTRY!!! and rigged up my own 3rd light overlay for the brakes looks sweet... Now it's really the fuel filler door hehe I know it's not the spring on the door but the tab on the door arm that is broken because i found the part yesterday it's just a square inch piece of metal that broke off. Maybee i'll be able to rigged something up like paulo57509 did with a pop rivet...

Well I'll keep you guys informed on this!!! Thanx for the replies!

I wanted to take it apart yesterday but it rained and now it's raining like hell up here... So I guess it will go to tomorow heh

aweb80 Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:04 pm Post subject:

What about a freakin magnet. Get an old speaker and tear the magnet off the back. Throw the magnet inside, so it sticks to the car and door.

aweb80 I already concidered that one... and tried it but it didn't work...

phantomFE3 Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:20 pm Post subject:

spray paint a strip of duct tape to the color of your car and then just put that over it, hey at least the door wont come flying open

Dude man that's CRUEL!!! I aint using duct tape on my car hehe

Anyways, meanwhile, I'll keep you guys informed!

Well well despite the Rain, I still went out there to fix my fuel filler door... First I took the rear wheel off. Then I took the bolts off to take the plastic guard off. From there it was quite easy to see what was wrong. To make a long story short, I used a Hard Drive Magnet, they have mounts soo now the magnet keep the door quite nice aligned and always shut... Thank you for the ideas guys! Now I have to take the rusts spots off of the body. Damm winter in Canada are quite arsh on the body... Talk to you all later!

Seb

velcro inside works good.... you have to find a way to make it so that it is up against the door... i used some JB Weld and a peice of plasic.... then painted it... worked great... then i got it fixed from junkyard parts...

- Justin