Shifter problem...

GP1138

Last night I was shifting into/out of gear, and from one moment to the next, the shifter button was stuck down, and I can't pull it up. I'm assuming the assembly under the console is to blame, but how would I go about changing just the button part? I can't even pull it up to get the key out of the ignition. :evil:

isnt your shifter a push in button on the side of the handle?

or is it the kind with the button on top? Either way, take the staple out of the shifter handle, get a pick, pick out the button, take the handle off and see if the spring(s) are broken or not strong enough to do the job.

or is it the kind with the button on top? Either way, take the staple out of the shifter handle, get a pick, pick out the button, take the handle off and see if the spring(s) are broken or not strong enough to do the job.

No, no. I have the knob off, and I can't even pull the button on the METAL part of the shifter out.

No, no. I have the knob off, and I can't even pull the button on the METAL part of the shifter out.

ahh i see i misunderstood you, sorry I got nothing , good luck.

I had this EXACT thing happen on my lumina a few years back, i could not figure out for the life of me what caused the shifter assembly to fail, but i replaced it with a junkyard unit and it was fine till i ripped it out of the car for the manual swap.

in the meantime if you want your keys back pull the console top and pop the interlock cable off, just be careful not to bump the shifter when you don't want to move the car.

in the meantime if you want your keys back pull the console top and pop the interlock cable off, just be careful not to bump the shifter when you don't want to move the car.

My interlock cable is disconnected right now, but you still have to press the button to get it out of park. However, shifting into Reverse from Neutral requires no button.