Car died, lost HVAC Controls.

Q-Ball

Well idiot me after starting my new job, I forgot to pull the 50amp fuse for my head lights... I goto work... la la la work work work... Come out 9.5 hours later and try to use my keyless entry. No chirp from the car... I looked and saw I forgot to pull the fuse... Anyways, long story short, I got my booster pack out and put the neg on the alt, and pos on the aux post. I didnt get a good connection at first. After wiggling it around on the alt, I got the connection I needed and it started right up. I left the booster pack on their for about 2 min to give it some of a re charge. I got in the car and my hvac controls dont work at all. The lights come on it, but I dont hear the fan at all. So I drove home and popped my hood and now my alt sounds funny. I dont know what to do. I hope I dont have to replace the alt. I just used it to ground the connection...

why not just use the aux positive post for positive and a dogbone bolt for ground?

Check fuses relating to the blower motor.

Well ive got a brand new alt here on my cutty (less then 10,000kms) trade for hood vents!

How about just give it to me. :mrgreen:

why not just use the aux positive post for positive and a dogbone bolt for ground?

Check fuses relating to the blower motor.

Well, thanks to Dave (C-Bad) for showing me to ground to the alt. I wish I had someway to record it to show everyone. Also, I remember trying to use the dog bone bolt for the ground, but I dont think it worked.

I use the dog bone or strut tower bolt/nut.

Grounding at the alternator shouldn't hurt it though - since I believe the alternator grounds itself to the bracket regardless. It's probably makes noise trying to charge your dead battery.

I use the dog bone or strut tower bolt/nut.

Grounding at the alternator shouldn't hurt it though - since I believe the alternator grounds itself to the bracket regardless. It's probably makes noise trying to charge your dead battery.

I was thinking the same thing... It was just using the juice to charge the battery.

My alternator charged my battery yesterday in -40 weather with all the accessories on with no problems...I'm sure it didn't like it but that is what it's there for. This is the first new alternator I've ever put on my car, and it's been working for 3 years now...I know the first gens seem to have sub-par electrical systems but mine seems to work fine still lol.

I'd fix the parasetic draw on your head lamp circuit in the first place so you won't have to worry anymore.

start with checking the fuse and then have the alternator bench tested

Looking in my cars manual, I see a few fuses to check, anyone know what one it actually uses the fan? And bench testing means taking the alt out and having it tested at a shop?

My alternator charged my battery yesterday in -40 weather with all the accessories on with no problems...I'm sure it didn't like it but that is what it's there for. This is the first new alternator I've ever put on my car, and it's been working for 3 years now...I know the first gens seem to have sub-par electrical systems but mine seems to work fine still lol.

I'd fix the parasetic draw on your head lamp circuit in the first place so you won't have to worry anymore.

Yeah, I was waiting until spring to take about the steering column to fix it. I just started the car up this morning to move it, and it started fine... Still no HVAC fan though.

Oh also, I have Dave's old spare alt. It came from a 2.8 though, would it work fine in my 3.1? I'm going to guess yes?

Well going to work, my hvac fan kicked in. I think it must of been a loose fuse. And the alt sounds fine too. Once again, my car has fixed itself.

Thats good to hear :lol: