Pics of new CAR...lots...not for dialup

Brian P

*whistles* wow, she looks clean, i say toss out that 2.8, and drop in a 545, then put on donut tires, and do burn outs till your rims scream for mercy...

Please don't write "Not for dialup" in the title. It makes the dial up users (such as myself) feel shitty. Just write "not for slower connections," because although the average dial up is not fast, my dial up is as fast as I can get it (i connect at 115200bps every time), and dsl, cable, t1, t3, etc... are not available where I am so I can only have dial up. Sorry about my rant, but I just think it isn't "politically correct" to say not for dialup. Not for slower connections is much better. And BTW...It only took me 10 seconds to load up all those pictures, which is plenty fast, because by the time I got done looking at the first, all the others were done loading.

Nice car BTW...Very good shape. What is the mileage???

Oh come on already! Most forums I go to, people bitch about not getting a warning for many pics cause they have dialup...once they get to the thread, there's so much to load that either the computer freezes or they can't "go back" trust me Ive been there for years. Next time I'll write "Not for 28.8-56k". Man I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't :roll:

i say do whatever the hell you want, people with dial up are the equivalnet of people driving, they drive slow and hell and get in your way and drive all stupid

OK back to topic- I appeciate everyone's compliments, actually I took the pics right after shampooing and hand scrubbing and vaccuming the interior. The seats are still wet on some spots in the pics, those aren't "piss" stains :)

It's unbelievable, every power feature works (though I had to repair the signal switch the day I got it). The air bladders in the seats all hold air, power mirrors work, the brake pedal is extremely high and much more sensitive than my 90 cutlass or my sister's 93 cutlass. not a single major thing wrong with it. Did oil and tranny fluid change already. 2.8 runs like new, starts right up smooth and quiet :wink: , no leaks under the car and the subframe is bone ass dry! trans shifts fine but too soft for my liking- will fix that with an adjustable modulator. Only things I need to repair are:

Signal switch (done)

Headliner replacement (done)

seatbelt covers broken on 3 buckles (almost done)

drivers side plastic lock lever is 1/2 broken

carpet under dash needs glue (fixed)

oil pressure sensor inaccurate- shows max pressure at anything over 1000 rpm's and even shows 1/2 oil pressure with the engine not running

vacuum check valve near cruise control needs replacement (fixed)

needed light bulbs for taillights (1 each) entire 3rd brake light is out (can't get the damn phillips screws out) 1 or 2 side marker bulbs, both map lights, and both foglights (1 lens gone)

drivers side mirror minor crack (got replacement assembly here)

rear 1/4 window needs rubber seal and mounted

Paint (next month she gets a pro-spray)

So just minor items that won't take me long. I also have a trick up my sleeve for getting new speakers all around while retaining the bass control. I have most everything needed for repairs and will hit the yard tuesday to get everything else. Best $350 I ever spent!

I also forgot to mention I have service records from day 1- Serviced at GM dealers, even the horn pad and switch assembly was replaced with a new unit a few years ago!

Damn, you got lucky.. I've always wanted a cutlass with all those options. Just add HUD and your complete. You sticking with the same color when you paint it?

Damn, you got lucky.. I've always wanted a cutlass with all those options. Just add HUD and your complete. You sticking with the same color when you paint it?

It's probably the reason why I bought it...saw all the options and the location and I'm like "oooh" plus the '90 tranny lost 3rd gear while driving there to test drive it. ALmost like a calling, but it's killing me to get rid of the '90, that's my first car and all. Most people wreck their first cars, I have to let it go to someone else.

HUD I will have in this week I guess....I really want to get a better dashpad though. Might try cutting my old dash...hope to god it goes well cause it's otherwise a perfect pad.

When it gets painted I'm going with Galaxy silver seen on Gen 2 grand prix's...slightly lighter. Think I should keep the bottom gunmetal?

Very nice. 89 is a good year. I've had fewer problems with my 89... except for that time when the head gasket went.

That interior looks identical to the one in Penny's '88.

For the sake of uniqueness, I would keep the bottom gunmetal. Otherwise, it will look like a 90-91 SL and also pretty much like any other car.

i say do whatever the hell you want, people with dial up are the equivalnet of people driving, they drive slow and hell and get in your way and drive all stupid

Hey man..watch what you say! Don't badmouth all dial-up users just because of one person. There are some of us that use dial-up because we have NO other option....like myself. You just have to learn patience. :evil: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Nice car Brian, I'm glad it didn't end up in the yard. :twisted:

Very nice. 89 is a good year. I've had fewer problems with my 89... except for that time when the head gasket went.

That interior looks identical to the one in Penny's '88.

For the sake of uniqueness, I would keep the bottom gunmetal. Otherwise, it will look like a 90-91 SL and also pretty much like any other car.

Yeah I've been leaning towards keeping it gunmetal. Silver is kind of a boring color and at least that puts some contrast into it!

Very nice Brian and like has been said, Im glad its not rotting a junkyard right now. I would stay with the gunmetal on the bottom, GP silver every where else. I cant believe how nice that is, all the options and what not. Well anyway good steal!!

Robby

Thanks for hijacking the thread would y'all like some spam on your sandwich?

I cleaned yer thread for ya!

Enjoy the 89 and good luck selling your 90!

I know I will never part with my 89.

Thanks for hijacking the thread would y'all like some spam on your sandwich?

Sorry Brian :oops: :oops:

Thanks, I wasnt that pissed thjough :)

It's easier to keep a car with everything in proper working order. If you had my '90 you'd be dying to get a '89 too :)

It's easier to keep a car with everything in proper working order. If you had my '90 you'd be dying to get a '89 too :)

All my cars are always in perfect working order. :wink:

All my cars are always in perfect working order. :wink:

Proper working order = electrical. I dont think you ever had to make wiring for foglights, power mirrors, auto climate, different cigarette lighter, ashtray light, center console, rear reading lights, front map lights. Like an explosion of wiring and nowhere to put it...then the FE1 suspension. Never was right, always felt loose up front even after replacing everything. Byeeee!!!

Proper working order = electrical. I dont think you ever had to make wiring for foglights, power mirrors, auto climate, different cigarette lighter, ashtray light, center console, rear reading lights, front map lights. Like an explosion of wiring and nowhere to put it...then the FE1 suspension. Never was right, always felt loose up front even after replacing everything. Byeeee!!!

Not those items, but I'm no wiring virgin! My 94 didn't come with a DIC and my 89 didn't come with a HUD. Both didn't come with autodimming compass mirrors, and the alarm in the 89 is just crazy. That was 10x more complicated than both the HUD and DIC projects combined. I've got it set up with domelight supervision and retained accessory power, detects pulls from the door handle, etc. I also put an alarm/keyless in the '88 that never came with it. Not many people have them set up to work like factory with the progressive unlocking, but you can't tell my keyless operation from a factory one. Maybe I just spend an inordinate amount of time on wiring. I spent hours studying the Helms wiring diagrams and mapping out the location of every factory splice. I take the time to carefully unravel the cloth/vinyl tape from each factory splice, clean off the goo with thinner, then wrap my new wires around the factory splice and solder. I rewrap the splice with the original tape. It's a helluva lot more time consuming than splicing into the wiring near the cluster connector, for example, but a lot cleaner and a lot more factory looking. I take as much apart as I have to, to reach factory splices. No factory wires are ever cut... if I HAVE to tap into a wire in a spot where I can't reach the factory splice, I strip the insulation without cutting the wire, then wrap and solder the new wire.

The wiring in my base model truck is the cleanest install possible. I bought complete door harnesses and interior harnesses off Ebay, uncut and perfect. I tore the dash completely out, the interior harness was gigantic and even consisted of half the underhood wiring (no firewall connector). Big job, but not one nonfactory splice. I guess if I had a base model car and wanted to do a complete changeover to fully loaded, that would be the best way to go about it.

DIC in 94 wiring

IMGP0695.jpg

HUD in 89 wiring

IMGP0534.jpg

Getting the factory harness is the best way by far, of course. My wiring looks just like yours, only I don't locate factory splices. I strip the insulation without cutting the wire and solder in the new wire. However I have so much different wiring that would take forever to make factory-like. The center console wiring, for example. I'd have to remove the carpet out of the car to get a perfect install. I wasn't about to go do that. With dual power mirrors, I'd have to strip the dash all the way down in order to run the wires in their factory location. Just too much. If I had to do it again I'd definetly just take an entire harness, but now I don't have to worry about that :)