Best setup for rock?

ihateallmustangs

Right now I have stock speakers with a shitty amp/ a 10" sub in the trunk. I hear a set of new speakers with an amp will sound better then a 10"? Im not into BOOM-BOOM shit that is was over bassed I just like it loud! I am goung to be running a stock GM deck with the converter to use an amp.

whats the converter? JL cleansweep?

stock speakers are great for rock.

I would get nice newer ones at the junkyard. for some reason those paper cones are really good for sound the way GM installed them.

the only way to better them is to build fiberglass pods for high end components.

or add a sub in a sealed fiberglass enclosure.

I listen to rock, a lot of punk ish type stuff, and am not into deepness as much as punch, and I've for the last 3 years or so loved the sound of my single 12" in a sealed box. I actually would rather have a 10" or two in a smaller sealed box for a bit tighter of a kick, but that would be a little overboard to try and do that. Just mess with the settings till you get it sounding right. New interior speakers will help anyways, but I don't see much need in amping them unless you're going for quality. My stock fronts are fine, and I bought some pioneer 6.5's for the back for like $15 from Brian P, and it sounds great

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so if I keep the stock deck and buy some new interior speakers what can I expect? I like my music LOUD with some nice firm BASS no hip hop crap or gino beats. All rock mostly classic rock , 80s retro ,alternative and hard rock. I just want loud and clean sounding. I wasn't too happy with my 10" sub and map combo.

i think if you bought after market speakers and amped them you will get the sound you are after. they will be clearer, louder, and you'll be able to turn the bass up a little without fear of blowing them.

I would say keep the stock fronts, put a set of three ways in the back, and run a small amp, maybe 5-600 watts to a single 10" sub in a sealed box. You should get good highs and a nice kick at high volume with little distortion.

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrading your stereo beyond a sub/amp is almost pointless without installing a new head unit.

A JL cleansweep you will find to be the price of a deck, so why not?

Outside that upgrade the front speakers only, 2 way coax or comps. Amp them. Add some Second Skin to the doors with Speaker Tweakers kit.

Done.