Jumping a dead battery

93CutlassSupreme

I'm wondering if I'm missing something here.

My CS has a totally dead battery, and I can't jump it enough to start. I've put a jump-start box on the battery for 30 minutes, and the battery will only charge up enough to click the solenoid. I've tried to jump it with a running car, and let the battery charge up for 30 minutes. Still, it'll only click the solenoid. I don't understand why I can't charge up this bad boy enough to start the car. I've always had charging problems with this car. I've been through 2 batteries and 2 alternators since 2003.

Obviously it needs a battery but I can't afford one right now.

Yeah, if a battery is completely dead, it will not charge up, not even enough, to start a car.

That, and running your car with a dead battery will just kill the alternator again.

lolol sounds familiar. Try to tricke charge it or replace the battery

I don't have the $ for a battery.

If you lived in Chicago I'd sell you my spare cheap. I have a spare battery for my regal lying around hooked up to a 2 amp charger just for jumpstarting purposes.

Are you getting a good connection? Easiest way to see is your hood light. The brighter, the better.

Yup, I have a good connection. The hood light brightens up as soon as I connect my other car/jump box to the battery.

According to my DIC, I'm only getting a max of 12 volts no matter how long I charge up the battery. As soon as I try to start the car (which just causes the solenoid to click) the voltage drops to 6 or 7 volts and slowly builds up again.

Yeah, a good battery will only drop to 10.5V, at the very very lowest, during start. 6-7 volts, the battery is toast.

Ya, like Chris said, if the battery is totally dead its not going to start at all. Remember when we tried doing this up north with the '88.

You know the cheap Wal-Mart batteries are only like 30 bucks tops.

Battery is probably sulfated and no good. Try trickling charging it at a low setting. If it won't charge it's no good. If you have access to a fast rate charger and a voltmeter charge the battery on high for 5 mins and see what the voltage it at. If it's over 15 volts the battery is for sure sulfated and will never charge again.

Quick off-topic question. Do batteries last if you leave them sitting around for a long time (couple years)? I'm not asking if they stay charged, just if they stay in working condition so if you wanted to charge them you could use them.

Quick off-topic question. Do batteries last if you leave them sitting around for a long time (couple years)? I'm not asking if they stay charged, just if they stay in working condition so if you wanted to charge them you could use them.

They can sit but they have to be maintained, as in charged monthly or you run the risk of what I talked about above your post.

I'm not going to buy a used battery.

I'm poor, not ghetto.

Anyways thanks for the replies everyone.

Tony, I do remember jumping the '88 up north. Still, at least we got that car to start. I only bought a new battery for that car because I didn't want to get stranded on the way home if I had to shut the car off for some reason.

I'm poor, not ghetto.

Thanks bud. I've bought used tires before. :roll: There's nothing wrong with buying a used battery. Hell, half the fucking batteries you buy are used, they're just reconditioned.

Y'know, people try to help you and you just throw attitude in their faces. If you're poor, take what you can get.

I'm poor, not ghetto.

Thanks bud. I've bought used tires before. :roll: There's nothing wrong with buying a used battery. Hell, half the fucking batteries you buy are used, they're just reconditioned.

Y'know, people try to help you and you just throw attitude in their faces. If you're poor, take what you can get.

Take it easy sport. I didn't mean that comment towards anyone in particular. I just try to avoid used auto parts in general, especially consumable parts.

Trust me, in the last 3 years I've learned very well to take every dollar as far as I can.

I'm poor, not ghetto.

Take it easy sport. I didn't mean that comment towards anyone in particular. I just try to avoid used auto parts in general, especially consumable parts.

Trust me, in the last 3 years I've learned very well to take every dollar as far as I can.

With the way you address people around here, how did you expect me to take it? If you properly test the battery, it's better than what you have, is it not?

Ya, well we got it to at least turn over but it would die right afterwards, if IIRC.

I have the battery out of that car, sitting in my basement on a charger.

Its yours for $15.

Ya, well we got it to at least turn over but it would die right afterwards, if IIRC.

I have the battery out of that car, sitting in my basement on a charger.

Its yours for $15.

I don't think that's going to happen.

I'm poor, not ghetto.

With the way you address people around here, how did you expect me to take it? If you properly test the battery, it's better than what you have, is it not?

My attitude is chicken shit compared to some other "w-body enthusiasts" here.

Still, for the second time, John, I am sorry for offending you. I should have worded my response differently.