Ignition Switch- Question for Lumina owners

dohc v6

I dont know if this is just a lumina thing but I need to know. When I stick my key in the ignition, and turn it to start but dont start it, do the instrumetn cluster lights come on? I know the radio comes on what about the lights on the dash.

My car might be different because, yes, all the lights come on. But I have a Canadian car with the automatic lights - but the sensor has failed so my lights are on all the time now.

Yeha, Mine does to. When I open the door and then close it the lights do come on. But when I turn the key on, sometimes the back lights come on and somethimes they dont. Also I can take my key out of my ignition, with the car on.

its pretty darn easy to replace the switch, once the wheel is off, the remove the turnsignal switch, the spring and you will have fairly direct access to it.

you will need a T20, and a philips screwdriver

Ok, not that bad I guess. I checked it again, when I let the car sit, the lights come on with the ignition on, after that they never come back on unlesss I let it sit for a while

That is a feature of the '91+ Luminas. 1990Lumina, yours, and other 1990 Luminas do not do it. The instrument and dash lighting come on when the driver door is shut and remain on for 15-30 seconds or so...

I once bought my dad a '90 Lumina with interior (in dash) lighting problems. I replaced the headlight push switch on the right side of the steering wheel on the front dash. Pull the dash panel off. remove 2 or 3 screws. Remove harness, swap with other and reassemble. Maybe some one you know may have a Lumina also. Ask if you can borrow their headlight switch for a couple of minutes. I doubt its in the steering column.

Its not the first time I've heard of being able to pull the key out of the ignition switch while the vehicle was operational. No real danger. Just can't turn the car back on without the key once the vehicle is turned off. I wouldn't lose sleep over this IMO.