Question regarding STB from GMPartsDirect

stu64

I just bought and received the STB (#12456148) from GmPartsDirect for my 95 Grand Prix. I was just wondering about drilling new holes. Am I correct in taking off the black strut plates and drilling 2 news holes in each to line up with the STB and then place the 2-head bolt included with the STB flush against the top of the strut plate, screw the black plate back on tight with the 2-head bolt sticking up through the 2 new holes I drilled and then screw the included nuts on these 2-headed bolts? I just wondered if my assumptions are correct. I don't have to go through the wheel well do I? Thanks for any insight!

Thanks for the pic and info. I just wanted to double check. Do you feel a big difference?

Yeah, big difference, the car feels safe during hard cornering now. Plus, my rear STB helped a lot. Makes it very responsive on the highway

Robby

One more thing... Since the flat head of the bolts is UNDER the covers, if you get 1 mm thick washers and place them under the remaining bolts , it will help even the cover so when you tighten the nuts, the covers will not warp.

do they make them for the rear?

and as for the STB... how much work is it to change one? and what's a good one? I know ADDCO has one for like $120 US....

why cant you just buy a friggin 1inch steel tubing and have it bent and flattened at the end? hell of alot cheaper and you could drill your own holes and probably alot stronger

why cant you just buy a friggin 1inch steel tubing and have it bent and flattened at the end? hell of alot cheaper and you could drill your own holes and probably alot stronger

that's what I've been wondering :lol:

lol if your buying them for 120 bucks, i can go to the welding shop in school and fab up a couple of them and sell them to you for 60, hell, ill even drill the holes in them and shit while im at it, any takers?

lol, alright, no but seriously, thats all it looks like in the picture, thats no more than a 20 minute job in a shop that has everything, all you would need is a torch to heat up the metal, a hacksaw to cut off the pipe and then a pipe bender, and if you wanted to drill the holes all you would need is a drill and a bit for that, but if wanted to do it right you could dynapac the bends on it and then use a drill press to drill the holes (i highly suggest using a drill press if your drilling in situations like this, its 100times easier)

I have access to machines, as my dads works at a machine shop, and builds machines. It's just as easy to run to GM than to ask my dad for something though.

lol, alright, no but seriously, thats all it looks like in the picture, thats no more than a 20 minute job in a shop that has everything, all you would need is a torch to heat up the metal, a hacksaw to cut off the pipe and then a pipe bender, and if you wanted to drill the holes all you would need is a drill and a bit for that, but if wanted to do it right you could dynapac the bends on it and then use a drill press to drill the holes (i highly suggest using a drill press if your drilling in situations like this, its 100times easier)

Oh yeah, and all those tools are sooo cheap too that it will make up the cost for the $10 bar. :roll:

Well, I do have a $8 micro-torch I got from Harbor Freight and an old Sears power drill. I doubt those would do any good to make an STB though.

yeah, for $10 it isnt worth your TIME to try and make one. working, my time as a custom carpenter is worth around $100 an hour, other things it is less but nothing i do turns out making me less than about $30/hr. so if it takes me 6 minutes to make a bar it just became not worth it.

well, see in highschool you have these things called classes! wow! yeah in advanced welding all you do is weld on stuff and make stuff and just screw around for the whole quarter, in hour school we have a 4-period day so each one of our classes is an hour and a half long, i think that would be enough time to pump out 1 bar per day if you got into the swing of it

shawn, no employer would pay you that, i work for myself.

I wish I had enough capital to start a business where I could work for myself! Or even an idea about what kind of business to get into!