98 Regal LS Help

Addicted To Boost

My dad just got a 98 Regal LS with 257,000 Miles on it for free from my neighbor, it runs and drives pretty decent and I have personally helped my neighbor work on it several times, so its very well maintained.

It has the (Series II) 3800 N/A in it also.

What are some things to watch out for in this car? I know very little about the second gen W's besides the work I have helped my neighbor do on it.

Hopefully it works the same way on the Regal as that MC... http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=24494.0

In that thread, I found a quote from "white93Z34" that hit the nail on the head!

"as far as being seen at night, i'd say that haveing autoheadlights could be dangerous, for example i don't believe auto headlights turn the taillights as well, i could see that as a very bad thing."

THAT is exactly what happened to my dad, he was driving home last night and started the car, noticed the headlights were on and his dash lights were on, so he thought he had already turned on his headlights. Someone almost hit him, because with the DRLs, your taillights don't turn on! WOW DRLs are stupid.

Well apparently Regals are different.. I pulled the left side cover off the regal (which is different than the one pictured in the link) and there is no heat sink or wire harness in there.

How do I disable DRL on the Regal?

Thanks

You could always pull the DRL fuse. I did that on my GP and it disabled the DRL's and automatic headlights that turned on at night. Now I just flip the switch manually.

And watch and be sure that the LIM gasket is good. Those go on probably 99% of the L36's that I've seen, and maybe the trans? The non-HD trans' seem to go quicker than the HD ones. But if they're both good then the car should be a nice DD

You could always pull the DRL fuse. I did that on my GP and it disabled the DRL's and automatic headlights that turned on at night. Now I just flip the switch manually.

And watch and be sure that the LIM gasket is good. Those go on probably 99% of the L36's that I've seen, and maybe the trans? The non-HD trans' seem to go quicker than the HD ones. But if they're both good then the car should be a nice DD

Where is the DRL fuse? The car doesn't have an owners manual.

The car seems to run great for the miles on it. Engine and trans are very strong. All the miles on this car are highway miles (my neigbor is a trucker and used it to drive to work and back everyday.)

Thanks again

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure where the fuse box is on Regals, but on my car you open the glove box and on the right side there is a little plastic piece you pull off, and it reveals the fuse box. On that piece of plastic there is a diagram on what all the fuses are. DRL should be one of them.

That's odd. On my 99' when the dash lights come on that means the headlights/tail lamps kicked on. I thought all 2nd gen Regals were this way..

Hm.. My 99 LTZ is the same way... I thought that's how the autolight system worked...