Newbie - Introduction, Plus A Few Questions

1990 Lumina Euro Coupe

Hello All!

I have lurked for awhile and finally decided to join the forum.

A quick introduction:

My Name is Bobby, and I currently have three W-Bodys; a 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sport Coupe, a 1990 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 3.1 Coupe, and a 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix SE Sedan.

I've had good luck with them so far.

Just two questions about the Lumina to see if other members can relate, and if anyone knows.

(1) In my 1990 Lumina, the speedometer frequently sticks at 45.(It has the full gauge package, tach etc) A good whack on the top of the dash frees it, but if anyone knows a fix I would welcome it.

(2) My Lumina is black with grey trim, and this includes the the body of the tail lights around the red plastic that holds the lamps themselves. The plastic is grey on mine, while most other Luminas that I have noticed are black. My "Chevrolet" centerpiece that holds the back up lamps is outlined in grey also.

Does anyone know if the grey bodys are still avalible? I plan to replace them when I have the car repainted because they have some black spots in the grey plastic, and the black would kill the black paint/grey trim theme of the car.

Looking forward to becoming a productive member. I have had a W-Body since 92, and have done plenty of things to them

Thanks in advance.

-Bobby

My Name is Bobby, and I currently have three W-Bodys; a1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sport Coupe

sport coupe? ive never heard of those, what makes it a sport coupe, do you have any pictures of it, im interested, tell me more! oh and welcome aboard!!! :D

for your speedo problem, try and open up the cluster and spray a little lube in there, or even electrical contact cleaner.... that will be safe for the components and will sometimes free up buildup rthat may be causing it to stick... mine did that and i used to have to whack the dash, but eventually it just started working ine again.... good 'ol GM and thier cars that have personality...

i swear, my car always knows what i am up to and always trys to fuck with me....

like when i was funna sell it, i know my car was sittin there thinkin "WTF are you doijng" and decided to break like 5 things... then i took the for sale sign out the window and 3 of the problems fixed themself. I dont know... lol

anyway, welcome

- Justin

phantomFE3 Wrote:

"sport coupe? ive never heard of those, what makes it a sport coupe, do you have any pictures of it, im interested, tell me more!"

I use the term "Sport Coupe" to describe any two door car that has a package that makes it sporty, when it has both a sport and non sport version. I call the two door sporty version of the make the "Sport Coupe." This is my designation for the car and not GM's nomenclature.

It's a two door 1989 Cutlass Supreme SL with floor shift, full digital gauges, and FE3 suspension packages. A "Sport Coupe".

Thank you for the repair suggestion for the speedometer. I will try it just as soon as I re-solder the pins on the cluster board of the 1991 Grand Prix to turn off the "Low Fuel" light. :lol:

I am a huge car nut with 13 cars to date, all GM but one which is a 1963 Dodge with 53,000 original miles on it. :shock:

The W-Bodys are good, solid affordable cars. They do have a personality of their own. My 1990 Lumina Euro has the sport package with console shifter, spoiler, 16 inch wheels guage package etc. It handles very well for a car that is supposed to be a "grocery getter" I have had it for two months, and all I have done to it is the initial oil change.

What comes to mind about the Lumina, is that when you take it around a hard corner at speed, the stiff suspention makes the tail end feel heavy, like the car is having to tuck it's tail in. Another personality trait of the car. :razz:

If anyone knows about the grey tail lights, please let me know.

-Bobby

• 1 month later...

LOL I guess im king of the 90 Euros :lol: , from wat ive seen; the gray plastic is on the tailights were only on the 90's. yet another unique feature about the car I adore so much, the gray looks nice and all but its gonna become body color as soon as i get the ambition to make it look like a 3.4 Euro, maybe even a 3.4 to follow lol, welcome by the way! 8)