clutch pedal removal?

Mr_Efficiency

Whats the best way to go about removing the clutch pedal in a 89 grand prix?

I bought the tranny (getrag 284) and everything needed for a 5 speed swap and I'm spending the next few days pulling it out of the car. I got the shifter out ok and started on the clutch pedal and it looks like a real PITA. what all has to come out? I've already dropped the steering column but theres so many huge bundles of wires and crap in the way i cant see under there to get at any bolts, also it looks like there is more bolts from the outside. also do I have to remove the brake booster to remove that big aluminum bracket that looks to be holding the pedals in place?

any help would be greatly apreciated, bad enough I have to roll around in the snow pulling the tranny but the clutch pedal is another nightmare by itself.

1989 GP would have a 282, unless it was transplanted or you bought the 284 separately.

Yes, you do have to remove the brake booster to get to the bolts on the pedal bracket.

This forum told me a few weeks ago that it had the 284 and i have a few getrag 282's around my garage from sunbirds and quad 4's and they look nothing like this trans.

and thanks for the info on removing the clutch... those brake booster bolts look like a real pain to get at, lol

Pull the master cylinder away from the booster and the booster just twists (counterclock) out. Use a long screwdriver or prybar between the studs.

J & N body 282s have different casings than W body 282s.

Yeah I went back and looked at the thread i was refering to and it is a 282... thast good, there a ton easier to find parts for, lol

You kind of lost me with the master/booster thing... this is the brake master right? just pull on it and twist and the booster comes right off? master and all or do i need to take off teh master first then twist the booster apart?

also does the 5 speed cars have a smaller booster? i think i read about this somewere and people were swaping to them cause the stock auto one was to big and blows the seals in the master.

also does the 5 speed cars have a smaller booster? i think i read about this somewere and people were swaping to them cause the stock auto one was to big and blows the seals in the master.

I need to photo document the difference between the berreta and W body 383s I have.

the issue with the Brake Master Cylinder is you need a smaller one to clear the clutch. the original one should be ok, but some people have may have had to downgrade to a smaller if they had upgraded, or installed a manual into a car that came with a larger booster (like redgtp)

Hey Neil...you do NOT need to remove master cylinder or booster to remove the pedal or clutch master cyclinder.

I can walk you through it tomorrow night if you want. Any chance we could get to the yard for 10-15 min to pull the pedal? It's not that hard to remove!

Pop off the CMC rod, and then the one bolt.

FYI it's MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to leave the steering column bolted in to remove that pedal, actualy I'll say it's almost necessary!

I used my stock 88 booster and I don't think it'd be an issue to use a 92+ either as my parts car was a 92 and as far as I know, it had the stock booster in it!

But I'll fill you in tomorrow night if you want!

yeah but i'm swaping from auto to manual, so dont i need that hole aluminum bracket? to hold the clutch pedal?

also i need to remove the clutch master as well cause i need it for my swap, lol

yeah but i'm swaping from auto to manual, so dont i need that hole aluminum bracket? to hold the clutch pedal?

negative. the square column support always has the provision for the pedal to bolt to.

the biggest issue... is what to do about the firewall plate.....

negative. the square column support always has the provision for the pedal to bolt to.

the biggest issue... is what to do about the firewall plate.....

Which is NOT that big of a deal...Neil,, I'll walk you through it tomorrow, with everything you need to do!

ok cool, I'll continue with the tranny then tommorow until we talk then I'll finnish getting the clutch pedal.

so far I just got the shifter and center console (even had the digital display screen thing mine has) then i started on removing everything in the way of the tranny, air box, wiring, cross over etc...

tomorrow i'm going to pull the drive shafts and hopefully get the tranny out, then saturday i just have to do the pedal thing.

thanks Kyle, this is the same as the cutlass you did not to long ago isnt it?

Exact same as the cutlass I just did. All my 5 speed parts are from an 89 Grand prix. Did you get the cables out too?

I was surprised at how easy it was to convert my auto to 5 speed. Although I ran into a bunch of isues, non have been due to the 5 speed...it's that damn snail that's giving me all my problems!! LOL.

If you get the tranny out tomorrow, it'll take ya 10-20 min to get the pedal out...getting it back in is another story!!

lol yeah, i usually get it in with the help of a few scissor jacks and slowly bring it up, but i dont think thats going to work with the subframe in the way on a W... will be interesting

I havent grabed the cables yet, there still attached at the tranny end and I didnt have a knife with me at the tiem to cut the carpet away to get at where they go through the firewall, i know on the J and N bodies theres a bolt at the firewall holding the cables there.

There are no bolts holding the cables in at the firewall. there are rubber gromnets that you will want to grab that protect the cable from the firewall. You need to slowly pull them out and get the ends through the firewall. Just make sure you have unbolted them before you lift the tranny up and out....

There are no bolts holding the cables in at the firewall. there are rubber gromnets that you will want to grab that protect the cable from the firewall. You need to slowly pull them out and get the ends through the firewall. Just make sure you have unbolted them before you lift the tranny up and out....

umm... on the 88 donor cs... there were two 7mm bolts, they held a metal bracket down which held the rubber grommet against the firewall. maybe or maybe not present.

umm... on the 88 donor cs... there were two 7mm bolts, they held a metal bracket down which held the rubber grommet against the firewall. maybe or maybe not present.

DUH you're right...sorry Neil...that's right Ken.....my bad...

thats pretty convienient that I already have the clutch pedal mounts, and i guess the brake pedal can stay... just have to cut mine in half, I took the rubber from the 5 speed car to pop on over top of my brake pedal after i cut it.

lots of good reference pics here from Josh (TurboSedan)

http://www.turbosedan.com/cutlass/trans/

I would definitely cut the brake pedal in half rather than swap the 5-speed pedal, much easier.

Clutch pedal just needs a c-clip and the MC pushrod removed (so two c-clips?)

A hole in the firewall will need to be dremeled out for the clutch MC. Just go slow and keep checking the fit, you don't want to go too big!

Bake82 will be able to fill you in on all the details, but search for posts by him, myself and TurboSedan for other tips.