Check Fuel Error

spiderw31

Today I got an odd problem with my GP... I was driving out on the hghway, and I went to look at my instant fuel economy, and it read 0 MPG :eek: . Right after that, the display began flashing CK. FUEL, and it beeped at me a couple times. Once I got back to the office, I shut down the car and immeiately started it right back up again, and then it was able to read fuel economy numbers. Then when I got in the car to head home, it beeped at again, and said check fuel :willynilly:. This time however, it went back to normal right away, and started displaying the fueal economy again

So, I'm thinking loose connection or bad solder somewhere... any ideas where to start hunting?

Today I got an odd problem with my GP... I was driving out on the hghway, and I went to look at my instant fuel economy, and it read 0 MPG :eek: . Right after that, the display began flashing CK. FUEL, and it beeped at me a couple times. Once I got back to the office, I shut down the car and immeiately started it right back up again, and then it was able to read fuel economy numbers. Then when I got in the car to head home, it beeped at again, and said check fuel :willynilly:. This time however, it went back to normal right away, and started displaying the fueal economy again

So, I'm thinking loose connection or bad solder somewhere... any ideas where to start hunting?

Possible bad ground. If I knew more about the cluster's relation to the DIC I'd point at the cluster since they usually have bad solder joints.

BTW... nice car. Is yours more green than blue or is it just straight blue? Mine is pretty much green, but it looks blue in nice weather.

Possible bad ground. If I knew more about the cluster's relation to the DIC I'd point at the cluster since they usually have bad solder joints.

BTW... nice car. Is yours more green than blue or is it just straight blue? Mine is pretty much green, but it looks blue in nice weather.

The DIC is part of the console, in front of the shifter, angled up so as to appear contiguous with the stereo. I'm guessing one pin in the harness going to the DIC might be loose/dirty, but I'm not sure where to look really.

How much gas does it say you have in the cluster?

BTW, nice ebay car!

I had just filled the tank a few miles before this happened, so it was still reading full. The needle did drop slightly, however, as the drive was about 30 miles. So I know at least the guage works.

Both: Thanks for the kind words! The car is definately blue, and is in great shape overall, with just a few random things that it needs. It's pretty amazing to find a car this old that is this well preserved! Once the weather clears up, I plan on getting some nice pics, and posting them up here :cool:

Hmmm... I've heard of the common cluster issues, but I'm not sure if I follow the connection. The cluster operates perfectly, with no glitches that I've seen. The only error is on the info center, and I was assuming that it got its signal from the ECU... is this incorrect?