Kenwood Excelon KDC-X791? Speaker suggestions?

pwmin

I need to replace the factory tape player in the Jeep and I was looking for something with decent power to handle replacement speakers without using an amp. My other desires are 3 pre-outs w/ good voltage, rear USB and auxiliary ports, and would prefer XM and HD ready. I cannot find anything decent that is XM and HD ready and as they are the least important on my list, XM and HD expansion capabilities is acceptable. I looked through all Crutchfield has and could only find different variations of the same Kenwood along with Alpine IDA-X200 and JVC KD-BT1. The Kenwoods have higher RMS power and pre-out voltage and the others only have optional rear outputs, whatever that means. They are more expensive for some stupid reason, but don't seem to fit the bill either way. Anyway, is the Kenwood a good receiver and a good choice for what I'm looking for? I can get an X791 off ebay for $185 w/ harness and installation kit. I can get an X891 for $40 more, but the only advantages to that are motorized/tilt face and 5V pre-outs. I don't think it's worth the extra money for this vehicle as the tilt is cool, but unnecessary and the 5V won't make THAT much of a difference. I am going to run an amp for a single sub, but that's it.

Also, what 5 1/4" speakers would you suggest? I don't want to spend very much money, maybe 50-100. The stock speakers are fuzzy, so they need replaced before they drive me loco. I have a set of tweeters I could maybe add into some coax speakers. I don't necessarily need components.

That X791 is pretty decent, lots of good feature's. The kenwood's can be a bit confusing with all of the menu's, but the quality is pretty decent as well.

Speakers, PM me. I'll see what I can do for ya.

i have the X890 and once i got used to the controls i liked it a lot. easy to install with my sirius, too. the only problem i have with it is that sometimes its hard to read in the sunlight. as far as speakers go i don't have a lot of experience.

The kenwood's can be a bit confusing with all of the menu's, but the quality is pretty decent as well.

Kenwoods are UBER-confusing, even for a technophile like myself. I love Pioneer for that, but with the inline ground, my Kenwood had a LOT less noise than my Pioneer does. I put up with that for the features the Pioneer (that cost $100 less than the Kenwood I had) has, like the rear bass option, and the adjustable EQ centers.

ok, thanks, everyone. i didn't even look at the pioneers since i've never really liked them. the one i have in my blazer is a pos, but maybe i'll look at them. i really wanted the color Panasonic, but they need to get with the fucking program and make something w/ a USB port. i'm glad i don't have to match the interior lighting like on my prix, though :mrgreen: it's been 9 years since i've had a kenwood h/u.

going to PM you, slick after i'm done w/ this post.

edit: just looked at the pioneers and didn't really see anything close to what i want besides the DEH-P6000UB, but I couldn't find any new ones on ebay. I just ordered the X791. Came with 2 year warranty and wiring harness adapter and installation kit for $183 brand new. I really hated spending the money, lol, but i had to get rid of that stock tape deck.

thanks for the link....durrr :mrgreen:. isn't there a 3.5mm jack on the back of it that I could also use? i found a pic, but i'm not sure if it's 3.5mm or not. that would be cheaper than using the cable to connect from the CD changer (http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/Accessories/CA-C1AUX) and using an RCA to jack cable

what is the blue wire coming off the back (right next to the USB)? http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8776_--+CLOSEOUT-+--+Kenwood+eXcelon+KDC-X791.html# (click on the images link)

Looks like a remote turn on lead (the blue wire).

The headphone style looking port may be a 3.5mm headphone input, but it could also be the hardwired remote control input. I'd wait to verify with the install manual.

Looks like a remote turn on lead (the blue wire).

The headphone style looking port may be a 3.5mm headphone input, but it could also be the hardwired remote control input. I'd wait to verify with the install manual.

ok, thanks. i was hoping to have a cable ready so i had everything when i went to install it, but looks like radio shack carries a M/M 3.5mm cable, so i can grab one quick while i'm doing the install. if it's not for a headphone jack, guess i'll have to order the kenwood thing or see if any of the electronic chain stores carry them.

did you come up with anything on the speakers? if not, i'll probably either order the boston s55 for $65 or sx55 for $100

I should have prices tomorrow morning.

ok, cool. no rush, just wondering. btw, i lost the ONE trim plate (on my JVC) that actually fit somehow, lol. hope you can find me another one.