the Cutlass Supreme DIS

oldred95

I'm am a tech and a young guy at that and the dealer I work at was an Olds dealer until Olds went away in 04. Anyway I was working on a 90 model Olds Cutlass Supreme CL today and I noticed it had a Driver Information System center that was slick as anything. I fiddled with it some but forgot to see if it was capable of displaying fuel economy or not. Anyway I've been wanting something like this for my truck and I don't mean to steal the Cutlass's thunder but if I find one in a salvage yard I think it would be ok to get the DIS out of it would it not? Anyway I know my truck uses the UART system and I know the Olds was an OBD1 UART system as well. Is installing a DIS into another line of GM vehicle straight forward as long as it uses the same communication? If anyone can shed some light on this I would really appreciate it.

anything is possible, however, it depends on the year of the truck and such. There are other cars that have similar things, and it might be easier to find one from a similar computer setup (obd1, 1.5, or 2)

For the 96 and newer trucks with Class 2 Communication the 96+ S10 blazer DIC is a direct conversion aside from a little wire splicing. Me having UART is the only problem and I'm assuming the Cutlass is UART is it not? Whats this OBD1.5 you speak of? I read that while I was browsing and I've never heard of it. I know in 95 on the trucks they were a half breed sort of year and got some of the newer functions but kept most of the old.

Yes, it is UART, 8192-baud ALDL. Trucks were sometimes a little different though. I had a friend with a truck and I think his had a different (slower) baud rate which I don't remember anymore. Yes, it does display fuel economy, but only if the ECM puts a fuel consumption constant in the data. I wouldn't count on it to be accurate though. Even the DIS in my 89 Cutlass is not accurate worth a damn, although the one I put in my 94 is dead-on accurate, but I programmed that fuel constant myself. :)

Yes, it is UART, 8192-baud ALDL. Trucks were sometimes a little different though. I had a friend with a truck and I think his had a different (slower) baud rate which I don't remember anymore. Yes, it does display fuel economy, but only if the ECM puts a fuel consumption constant in the data. I wouldn't count on it to be accurate though. Even the DIS in my 89 Cutlass is not accurate worth a damn, although the one I put in my 94 is dead-on accurate, but I programmed that fuel constant myself. :)

Those were 196 baud rate I believe on the 87-92 trucks. They were slow as anything. It wasn't uncommon to feel a surge in power as the 02 sensor reading swung from rich to lean. My PCM is the 8192 baud rate. I also do my own eprom tuning and have mentors that know the pcm in and out, front to back, and every way in between and would know how to recalibrate it if its possible.

As long as yours is 8192 baud, you should have no trouble making it work. The truck PCM might not spit out the right chatter data for the DIS, but between you and your mentors I'm sure you can figure it out. Basically you only need the right bytes in the right offset following the header.

It is much, much easier to modify the MEMCAL in the PCM to spit out the correct chatter data than to modify the DIS! The DIS does have an EPROM in it, but its data is largely undocumented and its CPU is also rather rare (NEC 7810 if I recall correctly).

One last thing. Earlier in the thread there was mention of OBD 1 and OBD 1.5. I'm assuming that OBD 1 was the early 192 or whatever buad rate and then OBD 1.5 is as you guys refer to it as OBD 1.5?

Any ideas other then a salvage yard where I might be able to find a DIS? Which year range should I look for? Were all the Cutlass's the 8192 buad rate or were the early one's the slower buad rate? Will the DIS work with either buad rate PCM?

One last thing. Earlier in the thread there was mention of OBD 1 and OBD 1.5. I'm assuming that OBD 1 was the early 192 or whatever buad rate and then OBD 1.5 is as you guys refer to it as OBD 1.5?

Any ideas other then a salvage yard where I might be able to find a DIS? Which year range should I look for? Were all the Cutlass's the 8192 buad rate or were the early one's the slower buad rate? Will the DIS work with either buad rate PCM?

You can also find DIS's in Delta 88's and 98's they are the exact same units.

All Cutlass's were 8192 baud. When it comes to W-bodies, people say OBD-1 for the older EPROM-based P4 ECMs and OBD-1.5 for the newer P6 PCMs that had flash memory, but weren't completely OBD-2 compliant.

Yeah, Cutlass Supreme and the Eighty Eights and Ninety Eights could come with the same DIS. They're identical in appearance and function but there were internal differences that aren't significant.

What is one of them worth? What make and model did they come out of? Pics?

$15 shipped? One came from a 1989 Int'l and the other I don't know but it's a version 1.8W so it is a W body DIS. Wiring included.