89 GP SE Serpentine Belt

Addicted To Boost

This may be kinda a noob question, but my 89 GP SE has an AIR pump and a belt that drives it; I need to change my serpentine belt on the car, but I need to know how to go about getting the AIR pump belt off? Or is there another way to change the serp belt without removing the belt?

Thanks in advance

I haven't seen a 5spd 3.1L in a while, but from what I remember, the AIR pump belt is in front of the serpentine belt. You should just loosen the bolts on the pump (I think there is one that is the "adjustment" bolt and will allow you to rotate the pump about the other bolts when loosened) until you can remove the AIR pump belt, then do a normal serpentine belt replacement.

duh!!!! remove the air drive belt. replace the serp belt. leave the air belt off. drive for 1000 miles. see what difference it actually makes. then put it back on if you still want it on.

duh!!!! remove the air drive belt. replace the serp belt. leave the air belt off. drive for 1000 miles. see what difference it actually makes. then put it back on if you still want it on.

x2

I finally had a little bit of free time today, so I got around to doing this. I couldn't for the life of me get the adjuster bolt on the air pump to come loose; I also didn't have good tools to work with at the time and about 10 minutes to get the job done (working in below zero weather sucks ass), so I just snipped the air pump belt and put on the new serp belt. I'll have to replace the air pump belt when its warmer out.

What exactly does the air pump do? I've heard that it just injects air into the exhaust, but I'm not really sure myself.