Seat backs won't latch

spiderw31

I just picked up a real nice '92 GP SE, and I've got a question about the seat backs. I've got the cloth buckets up front, but the seat backs wont latch in the back position. Basically you can flip them forward to climb into the back without releasing any latch. :eek: This isn't normal is it? Also, is it possible to adjust the angle of the seat back? I couldn't find a way to do that either, and I thought that maybe the two things were related. :question:

they are working properly, they don't "lock" unless the brakes are hit hard or you are parking downhill, etc.......adjusting the angle is done using the lever on the side of the seat.

So it is normal that you can just flip them forward without pulling a release or anything? Odd, but OK then! :thinking:

that is normal.

as for adjusting the back, sometimes the mechanism is funky. on the right seat on my 93 vert, the most upright positions can't be reached. grr.

on the outer side of both seats is an adjustment lever, pull up on that to adjust the rear. Look at the outer seat pivot point, and watch for mechanism movement. You may need to lubricate the mechanism, I'd lay rags beneath the mechanisms area to protect the carpet, blast it with brake parts cleaner, and then lubricate it.

So it is normal that you can just flip them forward without pulling a release or anything? Odd, but OK then! :thinking:

that is normal.

as for adjusting the back, sometimes the mechanism is funky. on the right seat on my 93 vert, the most upright positions can't be reached. grr.

on the outer side of both seats is an adjustment lever, pull up on that to adjust the rear. Look at the outer seat pivot point, and watch for mechanism movement. You may need to lubricate the mechanism, I'd lay rags beneath the mechanisms area to protect the carpet, blast it with brake parts cleaner, and then lubricate it.

Yeah... I tried pulling the lever and nothing happened, so I suspect you are right that it needs lube. I had planned on that in the near future, so I'll see what that does. I gotta say though, it does seem odd that they just flip forward like that... it's a bit annoying when I go to brace my arm on the passenger seatback while backing up, and the seat just decides to flip forward on me! :willynilly:

OK just went out to try the lever again, and you are correct, it just needs to be cleaned and lubed real bad. The passenger side works great, but the drivers side is REAL stiff, and doesn't want to come all the way back up.

:thumb: the seat locks are pendulum operated. you will notice that they lock up on hills and often during braking. I suppose one coulod look at the mechansim and figure out how to trick the pendulum into being in the locked position all the time. back to that passenger seat in my vert... it's pendulum is not sensitive enough, it flips forward occasionally when stopping.

My Lumina seat backs are fucked. They don not lock at any time. On most hard stops the passenger seat back flies forward then slams back lol. Both of the locks are damaged (no one ever used the release on the bottom)

My Lumina seat backs are fucked. They don not lock at any time. On most hard stops the passenger seat back flies forward then slams back lol. Both of the locks are damaged (no one ever used the release on the bottom)

You're not supposed to use the release unless they are locked.

If there is weight in the seats they will not fly forward I think because of the obvious weight. I've had the seats go forward before though.