Amp Wire-up

synistershadows

ok guys i got all the stuff now i just need to know a simple question

wheres the easiest place to run the power wire from the battery to the amp through the Firewall on a 3.4??

Yes on the drivers side of the engine bay. Grommet is big enough to fit 0 gauge, if you want to. I think it's easy to get to, but I'm installation for a living.

i think i found that gromet but it looks kinda hard to get at especially with a drill and it appears theres like a plastic chunk almost looks like its attacched to the cowl and runs down infront of the firewall and kinda hides the grommet is there a way to remove this plastic? and where does the other side of the grommet end up?

i just ran mine by the hood and then ran it into were all the wires go into the car from the door and fed it threw then ran it under the panels to the back.

how hard was this to do and where along the hood did you run it? and where is the place where the wires come in from the door

ps keep in mind i have a fully loaded international so i have a lot of wires to be working with and little space :willynilly:

Fully loaded or not, all w-body's are the same as far as the grommet and how everything is laid out in the vehicle.

Here's and empty spot on ALL 1st Gen W's. You can easily drill there.

IMG_3508.jpg

Otherwise, the grommet is not hard to get to.

Don't run your wire through the door jamb. That's an electrical fire waiting to happen.

Look at the steering shaft boot on the inside of the car, and compare to the picture. The firewall is nice and empty right there. Just be sure your low enough not to hit the brake booster.

ok and woudl it be better to run it up the drivers side or passenger or it doesnt really matter?

i have my XM antenna running up the drivers side under the kick panel

ok so pretty much power cable on the drivers side and RCA's on the passenger? should it be a problem if im running my XM antenna on the same side as the power cable?

very true thanx for your help iv been trying to get it into Futureshop or Best Buy but their all booked up till the end of next month and i just dont wana wait that long

taking your car to one of those places and letting someone you dont know touch your car is not for me I tell ya. I ended up tearing out every single wire and speaker out and redoing it all. I couldnt have had a worse experience.

Its weird because I know others have had luck. but for me its NEVER AGAIN! :lol:

if you know how, you might as well do it yourself. it's not too hard and you know exactly what was done if you ever come across a problem. i did mine exactly like slick said with drilling the firewall and runnin the cables on opposite sides. my sirius antenna is on the signal side but i never tried it on the power side.

ok quick question i got the amp all wired up today and it turns out i need a new fuse already but the question here is right now i haev the fuse in my trunk before the amp along the power wire. now it says to place this fuse no more than 18" from the battery is there any significant reason to to have it up by the battery or would i be fine leaveing it in the trunk?

i think the main reason is in case of a short or anything, you run a lot more of a risk of the wire heating up, catching fire, etc than if the fuse is right up by the battery. Mine is probably about 16" from the battery, maybe a little more, but if you wire it right then that hypothetically wouldn't be a problem, but still not the best