Here is an easy way to tell your car has been abused...

logikf1ve

:eek:

I bought the car with a transmission that "just stopped working, so I quit driving it" I assumed it was just a typical tranny that decided it wanted to die.

When I went to look at the car originally it started, ran fine, no SES light or anything, I checked the transmission and it went into all gears fine with no problems, and was pretty firm on the shifting. It was slipping, taking it almost 4k rpm to drive it up on my tow dolly.

I get it home and check all the fluids, the transmission fluid isn't even reading on the stick, I'm surprised it even moved. I fill it up and leave it at that until yesterday when I got it tagged for road use (I'm getting the transmission rebuilt on Friday) so I figure what the heck, it won't hurt anything so I drove it around the block and put gas in it. I get home and smell burnt oil, I look under the car and see the puddle of tranny fluid. I figure this isn't good, so I pop the hood and check the tranny fluid... barely on the stick. One heck of a leak to piss out several quarts of fluid in a trip around the block.

I then see this..

100_3827.jpg

and find this on the engine cradle... I pick it out and see that it is part of a case and part of a gear. :eek:

100_3819.jpg

100_3825.jpg

Previous owner must have liked doing burnouts in it. Dumbass.

Oh well. He still got screwed, because he was still paying on the car (he bought it 8 months ago on his credit card for $2,500) and I bought it off him for $300. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

IMG_0556.jpg

Man that looks really bad. Exhibit one on why not to abuse your tranny. Looks like he was doing neutral drops or something.

Nah, just burnouts I'm sure. The tranny shifts perfectly fine, no clunking or anything. Second best way to toast your tranny is by one-wheel-peelin' it.

This is exactly why I don't abuse my FWD cars. I've never even spun a tire on one. :lol: If I want insano burnouts I'll pick a T/A. :mrgreen: Those are easier to fix than a FWD car. :willynilly:

Either this one...

This

Or this one:

Or this.

I wouldnt trust the rest of the tranny after that, who knows what else is abused on it and just and accident waiting to happen, also who knows what kind of damage all the chunks of metal floating around in there have done to the other gears. New tranny IMO, drop it in and be done with it, no extra hassle, just one out and the other in.

Hmm. I've only done one burnout with the regal, and past that I try not to launch too hard off a stop. It was great fun with all the torque the L27 has, but I figured I probably should try to make this tranny last a while...

my figuring is that you can get a differential for about 50 to 75 bucks and put it on yourself in about 2-3 hours, and maybe it would be ok. if that doesn't fix it, then either trans shop time, or used transmission. If you are all set to completely replace the tranny, then oh well.

Since I plan to have the car for atleast 10 years, I'm getting it rebuilt. $1,200 for a rebuilt tranny with all the HD diff parts.

Besides, the transmission fluid was burnt, and it is slipping a little bit. Since it's a '98, I'm sure there is a sensor in the transmission that can detect slippage and throw the SES light (emissions related, won't pass inspection).

Either way, if I were doing the repairs myself, I wouldn't even be messing with it, I'd go junkyard surfing for a L67 with a 4T65E-HD, and swap it all at once. But alas, I don't have the time to do it myself right now.

man, nice carnage! The first thing I said looking at that was "that won't be cheap!" :lol:

Quick derail, don't mind me!

BTW nice T/A burnouts! Hows the 76 coming? Last I heard you had the engine in it and had some parts powder coated that cool black chrome, which looked great!